Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/25 03:36:20 UTC

[wiki] Proposed changes

I'm proposing to move some content around on the Commons wiki.

Motivating factors are:

 * Discourage amorphous growth on one or two pages
 * Distribute content over already existing pages (some of which are
mostly abandoned)
 * Reduce the number of orphaned pages, aim for better wiki navigation

(... over time, not that I expect any of my changes to be revolutionary ;-)

If you don't like one or more of the changes below, reply with a -1
underneath the change. I will make all changes that do *not* receive a
-1 in a few days (Friday at the earliest).

1) Move articles and third party resources to this orphaned page:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/ArticlesAndTutorials

2) Create a DeveloperDocumentation page and move the related links
from the FrontPage to that one.

3) Create a "menu/navigation bar" on the top (currently it has three
entries). More entries will wrap in your browser, depending on your
resolution.

4) Lose the description for the links on top of the page, they should
do OK without it as well, and add them to (3). For example:
"GettingInvolved has information for people interested in helping out
with commons development."
will just become a "GettingInvolved" link in the nav bar.

5) Add a FrequentlyAskedQuestions page for Commons as a whole (for
generic questions such as which why does my "maven site" fail)

Stephen-

Can we post your Javapolis pdf on the wiki? I remember someone suggesting it.

-Rahul

Re: [wiki] Proposed changes

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/06, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm proposing to move some content around on the Commons wiki.

<snip/>

Done.

-Rahul

Re: [wiki] Proposed changes

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the late response.  I have had connectivity problems this week.
>
> My one comment is that most of the content described below belongs on
> the main commons web pages.  Could be I am odd man out, in which case
> I will shut up and accept the chaos, but I don't think we should be
> using the Wiki for developer documentation, at least not as a
> permanent home for it.

<snip/>

I think this is probably orthogonal to tidying up the wiki per plan
below, so I'll go ahead with that bit later today. IMO, the wiki is
good as a staging area for developer documentation and if the "Commons
Manual" or any of the other documents ever reach a website-worthy
status, we can turn them into (non-wiki) web pages.

-Rahul

> Phil
>
> On 1/24/06, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm proposing to move some content around on the Commons wiki.
> >
> > Motivating factors are:
> >
> >  * Discourage amorphous growth on one or two pages
> >  * Distribute content over already existing pages (some of which are
> > mostly abandoned)
> >  * Reduce the number of orphaned pages, aim for better wiki navigation
> >
> > (... over time, not that I expect any of my changes to be revolutionary ;-)
> >
> > If you don't like one or more of the changes below, reply with a -1
> > underneath the change. I will make all changes that do *not* receive a
> > -1 in a few days (Friday at the earliest).
> >
> > 1) Move articles and third party resources to this orphaned page:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/ArticlesAndTutorials
> >
> > 2) Create a DeveloperDocumentation page and move the related links
> > from the FrontPage to that one.
> >
> > 3) Create a "menu/navigation bar" on the top (currently it has three
> > entries). More entries will wrap in your browser, depending on your
> > resolution.
> >
> > 4) Lose the description for the links on top of the page, they should
> > do OK without it as well, and add them to (3). For example:
> > "GettingInvolved has information for people interested in helping out
> > with commons development."
> > will just become a "GettingInvolved" link in the nav bar.
> >
> > 5) Add a FrequentlyAskedQuestions page for Commons as a whole (for
> > generic questions such as which why does my "maven site" fail)
> >
> > Stephen-
> >
> > Can we post your Javapolis pdf on the wiki? I remember someone suggesting it.
> >
> > -Rahul

<snap/>

Re: [wiki] Proposed changes

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.