Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/12 17:41:15 UTC

Subversion on AIX

We are trying to get a Subversion install on an IBM AIX box we have
here. Unfortunately, I really don't have root access to the box, and I
know that our admins will probably not be very helpful in this
endeavor.

I do have gcc version 4.0.0, but I don't have the APR library. We
don't plan to use Apache httpd, but just svnserve instead.

I downloaded the Universal AIX tarball (only 1.4, but I'd be happy
with anything now), and had problems since it was tarred up at the
root of the directory. I used pax to untar the file, so I could put it
under something besides /opts. The files are placed under /home/david.

$ LIBPATH=/home/david/subversion/opt/subversion/lib:$LIBPATH
$ ./svn
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./svn because of the following errors:
        0509-022 Cannot load module
/home/david/subversion/opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_client-1.so.
        0509-150   Dependent module /opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_wc-1.so
could not be loaded.
        0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_wc-1.so.
        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name
does not exist.
        0509-022 Cannot load module svn.
        0509-150   Dependent module
/home/david/subversion/opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_client-1.so could not
be loaded.
        0509-022 Cannot load module .

Any ideas at this point?

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Subversion on AIX

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
I had to change the GCC flags. Still have some issues. The version of
Neon is not correct (need 0.29 and not 0.28.3), and it took me a while
to get zlib working. I had to build that manually and add the
--with-zlib=$HOME flag. Then, there was a complaint about apr and I
had to go in and hack the apr configuration file.

I hate trying to get this stuff to build. The configure utility is
impossible to debug and Make isn't any better. I've been building
software for over 20 years and I shiver every time I have to build
this stuff. Documentation is scanty and no comments in any of the
files or utilities.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Subversion on AIX

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

RE: Subversion on AIX

Posted by "Loritsch, Berin" <bl...@dtri.net>.
> I may have already stated this, but the way the build works
> really sucks. Running "configure" on AIX powerpc would take
> 15 to 30 minutes.
> Each time, determining whether my version of sed truncates
> characters, the name of my default executable created by the
> linker, etc. And, when things didn't work, it took hours to
> trace where the error was occurring and why. The "configure"
> shell script is a very long and confusing mess with almost no
> documentation.

The configure script is autogenerated from a couple other files.  I
believe it is using the standard GNU autoconf stack to generate the
config and make files.  The original files are M4 scripts (even uglier
to look at).  Unfortunately, to make the build easier on AIX requires
someone with AIX experience working with the GNU autoconf/automake
teams.  I get the feeling that's hard to come by, which would explain
why it's such a pain.

On Linux (and probably BSD), the same process is much quicker and is not
filled with such nasty problems.  In my brief encounters with Solaris, I
know there are some big enough differences in the platforms to cause
plenty of heartburn.  I've done very little with AIX, but it just feels
different from both Solarix and Linux or BSD.  I shudder to think of the
experience using Irix would be like building this...

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message, and any attachments, may contain proprietary and/or privileged material. It is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: Subversion on AIX

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Alas, we don't have "cc", only "gcc".

I finally got everything to work. I had to fudge the flags a bit. And,
I discovered that it wants a later version of Neon than came with the
Subversion package. (I believe the depedencies came with .28 and
Subversion said it needed .29 as a minimum.)

I had to manually compile zlib and set the --with-zlib= flag. It took
me a while to figure out that this flag isn't suppose to point to the
directory where libz.a exists, but instead points to the directory
that contains both the includes and lib directory where the zlib
headers and library are located.

APR presented another nasty trick. When I compiled APR, it created a
liba*.la files that are actually texts file and contains path
information. Despite compiling APR with the path /home/cmuser/lib, and
the fact that it actually installed there, it had set libdir to
/usr/local/apr/lib. I had to manually change all of these.

So, I now have 1.6.13 working on my AIX 5.3 system, but the http
protocol won't work. If I want that to work, I'll have to download the
latest copy of neon from the Apache neon project and recompile
everything again. Fortunately, we're going to try using svnserve, so
that may not be an issue.

I may have already stated this, but the way the build works really
sucks. Running "configure" on AIX powerpc would take 15 to 30 minutes.
Each time, determining whether my version of sed truncates characters,
the name of my default executable created by the linker, etc. And,
when things didn't work, it took hours to trace where the error was
occurring and why. The "configure" shell script is a very long and
confusing mess with almost no documentation.

I do have my build commands in a shell script in case anyone has to do
this again (I did this when I realized I had to do this over and over
again, and the entire Subversion build takes almost 3 hours to do).

I may try again with the latest Neon if we do need the http protocol.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:55 AM, Giulio Troccoli
<Gi...@uk.linedata.com> wrote:

> Linedata Limited
> Registered Office: 85 Gracechurch St., London, EC3V 0AA
> Registered in England and Wales No 3475006 VAT Reg No 710 3140 03

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: Subversion on AIX

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

RE: Subversion on AIX

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Re: Subversion on AIX

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
I was able to build everything until neon. There I get

   $ ./configure --with-expat=/app/fms/build/lib/libexpat.la
--enable-shared=yes --prefix=/app/fms/build
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output file name...
    configure: error: in `/app/fms/build/subversion-1.6.13/neon':
    See `config.log' for more details.
    cmuser@fmsdwbap01:~/subversion-1.6.13/neon
    $

Can you give me any help? It looks like it's crapping out when it is
trying to determine the default link output. However, apr, apr-util,
and expat all worked.

CONFIG.LOG OUTPUT

$ cat config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

It was created by neon configure 0.28.6, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.63.  Invocation command line was

  $ ./configure --with-expat=/app/fms/build/lib/libexpat.la
--enable-shared=yes --prefix=/app/fms/build

## --------- ##
## Platform. ##
## --------- ##

hostname = fmsdwbap01
uname -m = 00C2526E4C00
uname -r = 3
uname -s = AIX
uname -v = 5

/usr/bin/uname -p = powerpc
/bin/uname -X     = unknown

/bin/arch              = unknown
/usr/bin/arch -k       = unknown
/usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
/usr/bin/hostinfo      = unknown
/bin/machine           = unknown
/usr/bin/oslevel       = 5.3.0.0
/bin/universe          = unknown

PATH: /app/WebSphere/was6x/Was61Install/java/bin
PATH: /home/cmprod/ant/bin
PATH: /usr/bin
PATH: /etc
PATH: /usr/sbin
PATH: /usr/ucb
PATH: /usr/bin/X11
PATH: /sbin
PATH: /home/cmprod/bin
PATH: /usr/atria/bin/
PATH: .
PATH: /app/fms/build/bin

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##

configure:2163: checking for a BSD-compatible install
configure:2231: result: ./install-sh -c
configure:2354: checking for gcc
configure:2370: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:2381: result: gcc
configure:2613: checking for C compiler version
configure:2621: gcc --version >&5
gcc (GCC) 4.0.0

configure:2625: $? = 0
configure:2632: gcc -v >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/bin/as
--with-ld=/usr/bin/ld --disable-nls --enable-languages=c,c++
--prefix=/opt/freeware --enable-threads
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --host=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
Thread model: aix
gcc version 4.0.0
configure:2636: $? = 0
configure:2643: gcc -V >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2647: $? = 1
configure:2670: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2692: gcc  -l/app/fms/build/include/ -brtl conftest.c  >&5
gcc: '-b' must come at the start of the command line
configure:2696: $? = 1
configure:2734: result:
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "neon"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "neon"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.28.6"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "neon 0.28.6"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "neon@lists.manyfish.co.uk"
| #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
| #define NEON_IS_LIBRARY 1
| #define NEON_VERSION "0.28.6"
| #define NE_VERSION_MAJOR (0)
| #define NE_VERSION_MINOR (28)
| #define NE_VERSION_PATCH (6)
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2740: error: in `/app/fms/build/subversion-1.6.13/neon':
configure:2742: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

ac_cv_env_CC_set=''
ac_cv_env_CC_value=''
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_set=''
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value=''
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=set
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=-l/app/fms/build/include/
ac_cv_env_CPP_set=''
ac_cv_env_CPP_value=''
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=set
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value=-brtl
ac_cv_env_LIBS_set=''
ac_cv_env_LIBS_value=''
ac_cv_env_build_alias_set=''
ac_cv_env_build_alias_value=''
ac_cv_env_host_alias_set=''
ac_cv_env_host_alias_value=''
ac_cv_env_target_alias_set=''
ac_cv_env_target_alias_value=''
ac_cv_prog_ac_ct_CC=gcc

## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##

ALLOW_INSTALL='yes'
ALL_LINGUAS=''
AR=''
CC='gcc'
CERTUTIL=''
CFLAGS=''
CPP=''
CPPFLAGS='-l/app/fms/build/include/'
DEFS=''
DSYMUTIL=''
DUMPBIN=''
ECHO_C='\c'
ECHO_N=''
ECHO_T=''
EGREP=''
EXEEXT=''
FGREP=''
GNUTLS_CONFIG=''
GREP=''
HELPERS=''
INSTALL_DATA='${INSTALL} -m 644'
INSTALL_PROGRAM='${INSTALL}'
INSTALL_SCRIPT='${INSTALL}'
KRB5_CONFIG=''
LD=''
LDFLAGS='-brtl'
LIBOBJS=''
LIBS=''
LIBTOOL=''
LIPO=''
LN_S=''
LTLIBOBJS=''
NEONOBJS=''
NEON_BUILD_BUNDLED='yes'
NEON_CFLAGS=''
NEON_EXTRAOBJS=''
NEON_LIBS=''
NEON_LINK_FLAGS=''
NEON_LTLIBS=''
NEON_OBJEXT=''
NEON_PC_LIBS=''
NEON_SUPPORTS_SSL=''
NEON_TARGET=''
NEON_VERSION='0.28.6'
NE_FLAG_DAV=''
NE_FLAG_I18N=''
NE_FLAG_IPV6=''
NE_FLAG_LFS=''
NE_FLAG_SOCKS=''
NE_FLAG_SSL=''
NE_FLAG_TS_SSL=''
NE_FLAG_ZLIB=''
NM=''
NMEDIT=''
OBJDUMP=''
OBJEXT=''
OPENSSL=''
OTOOL64=''
OTOOL=''
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT='neon@lists.manyfish.co.uk'
PACKAGE_NAME='neon'
PACKAGE_STRING='neon 0.28.6'
PACKAGE_TARNAME='neon'
PACKAGE_VERSION='0.28.6'
PATH_SEPARATOR=':'
PK12UTIL=''
PKG_CONFIG=''
RANLIB=''
SED=''
SET_MAKE=''
SHELL='/bin/sh'
STRIP=''
TESTS=''
TEST_LDFLAGS=''
XML2_CONFIG=''
ac_ct_CC='gcc'
ac_ct_DUMPBIN=''
bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin'
build=''
build_alias=''
build_cpu=''
build_os=''
build_vendor=''
datadir='${datarootdir}'
datarootdir='${prefix}/share'
docdir='${datarootdir}/doc/${PACKAGE_TARNAME}'
dvidir='${docdir}'
exec_prefix='NONE'
host=''
host_alias=''
host_cpu=''
host_os=''
host_vendor=''
htmldir='${docdir}'
includedir='${prefix}/include'
infodir='${datarootdir}/info'
libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib'
libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/libexec'
localedir='${datarootdir}/locale'
localstatedir='${prefix}/var'
lt_ECHO='print -r'
mandir='${datarootdir}/man'
oldincludedir='/usr/include'
pdfdir='${docdir}'
prefix='/app/fms/build'
program_transform_name='s,x,x,'
psdir='${docdir}'
sbindir='${exec_prefix}/sbin'
sharedstatedir='${prefix}/com'
sysconfdir='${prefix}/etc'
target_alias=''
top_builddir=''
user_LDFLAGS='-brtl'

## ----------- ##
## confdefs.h. ##
## ----------- ##

#define PACKAGE_NAME "neon"
#define PACKAGE_TARNAME "neon"
#define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.28.6"
#define PACKAGE_STRING "neon 0.28.6"
#define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "neon@lists.manyfish.co.uk"
#define _GNU_SOURCE 1
#define NEON_IS_LIBRARY 1
#define NEON_VERSION "0.28.6"
#define NE_VERSION_MAJOR (0)
#define NE_VERSION_MINOR (28)
#define NE_VERSION_PATCH (6)

configure: exit 77

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: Subversion on AIX

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

RE: Subversion on AIX

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Re: Subversion on AIX

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

RE: Subversion on AIX

Posted by Giulio Troccoli <Gi...@uk.linedata.com>.

Re: Subversion on AIX

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 12, 2010, at 11:41 AM, David Weintraub wrote:

> I do have gcc version 4.0.0, but I don't have the APR library. We
> don't plan to use Apache httpd, but just svnserve instead.

APR is needed by Subversion regardless of the network server used.

> I downloaded the Universal AIX tarball (only 1.4, but I'd be happy
> with anything now), and had problems since it was tarred up at the
> root of the directory. I used pax to untar the file, so I could put it
> under something besides /opts. The files are placed under /home/david.
>
> $ LIBPATH=/home/david/subversion/opt/subversion/lib:$LIBPATH

You probably want a colon between the first two paths, although this won't help.

> $ ./svn
> exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./svn because of the following errors:
>        0509-022 Cannot load module
> /home/david/subversion/opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_client-1.so.
>        0509-150   Dependent module /opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_wc-1.so
> could not be loaded.
>        0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_wc-1.so.
>        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name
> does not exist.
>        0509-022 Cannot load module svn.
>        0509-150   Dependent module
> /home/david/subversion/opt/subversion/lib/libsvn_client-1.so could not
> be loaded.
>        0509-022 Cannot load module .
>
> Any ideas at this point?

Yes...the binary was built to be ran from /opt/subversion.  Running anywhere else will fail miserably.  Thank the AIX compiler/linker.  There isn't much you can do without trying to use another binary or building it yourself.

Take care,

Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>
Twitter: jcscoobyrs
Website: http://www.thoughtspark.org