Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2008/04/01 23:18:38 UTC

JDO 2.2 feature list

Hi,

Now that JDO 2.1 has shipped, it's time to think about the next
release. We have some bugs to fix, some cleanup that didn't make 2.1,
and some new things that should be done.

I'd like to get to a quicker release cycle now that all of the big
ticket items are done (Java 5, Annotations, JPA alignment).

Here are the new features I'd like to do for JDO 2.2:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-554 Dynamic fetch plans. We
currently have metadata for fetch plans but no way to dynamically
configure them.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-556 Use Java 6 ServiceLoader
pattern for PersistenceManagerFactory lookups. This needs a minor
change to the contract for PersistenceManagerFactory to provide for a
no-args constructor used by JDOHelper.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-552 Add new constructors for
exceptions

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: JDO 2.2 feature list

Posted by Joerg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.
After thinking more about this, I'd like to withdraw the proposal of
FetchPlan.setRecursionDepth().

However, it would be nice if a detached object could "lazy-load" (detach
on demand) any field that is not loaded yet, provided the database is
accessible. From my current experience, it is very hard to limit a
detachment closure to what is exactly needed, using
FetchPlan.setMaxFetchDepth() and recursion-depth metadata (or, if it
existed, FetchPlan.setRecursionDepth()).

We use detachment mainly for being able to modify objects outside of a
transaction and without state being persisted immediately, e.g. for
validators in a web-application that operate on the model objects, and
to avoid form objects for keeping user input between HTTP requests. Here
it would be very handy if any field not loaded yet would be loaded on
demand, since one always seems to come across an unloaded field during
display.

Not sure about the implications for implementations. If this feature is
agreed to be interesting I'll try to come up with something here. This
of course won't work with detached objects being serialized to a
different VM.

Joerg von Frantzius schrieb:
> Since we have setMaxFetchDepth() on FetchPlan, it would be good to
> also have a setRecursionDepth() on FetchPlan, maybe in addition to
> having the annotation on field level.
>
> At least I have a use-case here where that would be desirable.
>
> Craig L Russell schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now that JDO 2.1 has shipped, it's time to think about the next
>> release. We have some bugs to fix, some cleanup that didn't make 2.1,
>> and some new things that should be done.
>>
>> I'd like to get to a quicker release cycle now that all of the big
>> ticket items are done (Java 5, Annotations, JPA alignment).
>>
>> Here are the new features I'd like to do for JDO 2.2:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-554 Dynamic fetch plans. We
>> currently have metadata for fetch plans but no way to dynamically
>> configure them.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-556 Use Java 6
>> ServiceLoader pattern for PersistenceManagerFactory lookups. This
>> needs a minor change to the contract for PersistenceManagerFactory to
>> provide for a no-args constructor used by JDOHelper.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-552 Add new constructors
>> for exceptions
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

artnology GmbH - Milastraße 4 - 10437 Berlin - Germany
Geschäftsführer: Ekkehard Blome (CEO), Felix Kuschnick (CCO)
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 76376
UST-Id. DE 217652550

Re: JDO 2.2 feature list

Posted by Joerg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.

Re: JDO 2.2 feature list

Posted by Matthew Adams <ma...@matthewadams.org>.
...and the long-awaited schema synchronization API.  Let's see, who's on
the hook for that?  Oh yeah, me.  :)

RE: JDO 2.2 feature list

Posted by Erik Bengtson <er...@jpox.org>.
My wish list are the features that could differentiate JDO to JPA:

- support to multiple datastores
- JMX management/monitoring model
- OSGi Service (Similar to JDO-556)

Re: JDO 2.2 feature list

Posted by Christiaan <ch...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,
maybe it would be nice to do a short announcement on the release of JDO 2.1
on the server side and that new ideas for the next release are welcome?

kind regards,
Christiaan

Re: JDO 2.2 feature list

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org>.
> Here are the new features I'd like to do for JDO 2.2:

+1 to all of those,

also a level of standardisation of transaction isolation - see mailing list
around 16th March.

--
Andy