Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by John Armstrong <jo...@yolus.com> on 2002/06/06 12:04:48 UTC

Binary compatibility between versions of log4j

What guarantees are there (if any) for binary compatibility between
different versions of log4j?

We have recently had to upgrade from version 1.0.4 of log4j to version
1.1.3. I was surprised to notice that there was not complete binary
compatibility between these releases though fortunately it was easy to
change our code. However, the following situation could easily have arisen:

Suppose library1 uses log4j 1.1.3 with its "Category.assert" method and
library2 uses "Category.assertLog" from log4j 1.2 the only solution is to
ask one of the library vendors to change their code. (Or to compile your own
hacked together log4j "version" with a both methods).

My concern about this issue was increased when I saw in the javadocs that
Category is now deprecated and is scheduled for deletion next year. If and
when that happens won't a lot of libraries require conflicting versions of
log4j making it difficult to use log4j with code supplied from multiple
vendors?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this,

John