Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Mehdi Bennani <mb...@freebalance.com> on 2005/01/28 15:22:42 UTC

Profiles and PSML issues, jetspeed 1.5

I am running jetspeed 1.5 and I have the following 3 questions regarding
Profiles and PSMLs.

Question # 1:

==========

When the properties(in jetspeedResources.properties):

-          newuser.template is set to nothing

-          rolefallback is set to true

and

-          rolemerge = false,

    all newly created users get the profile of the default role any
newly created user is in. (i.e: value of
services.JetspeedSecurity.newuser.roles or first element of that if
comma delimited value is entered). Also, no actual PSML file gets
created for those users ( I mean in the file system ) and they will
share that role profile....

Now, if you add rolemerge=true, all newly created users will get an
aggregate of the roles they are part of...so far so good...but an actual
PSML profile will get created for them in the file system as soon as
they login!

>From there on, they have their own view of the things!

My question is why is that? Why not having the same behavior as when
rolemerge = false (i.e: sharing the same PSML..). That way as soon as
the admin changes the portlets and panes for any of those default user
roles, it will automatically apply to them, which is not the case right
now.

So my question is, is there a specific reason for that behavior or for
not having that behavior?

Question # 2:

==========

I see the reason behind user PSML, role PSML, but why is group PSML
relevant?

I mean why would I create a group PSML (through the PSML browser) AND
how would I even use it??

Question # 3:

=========

In our application we have two types of users that will be created:
users who belong to an institution and users who do not belong to any
institution (internal vs. external users)

External users create 'themselves' by registering to the application
through the 'create new account' link in the anonymous view of the
jetspeed portal. For that, we are thinking to use role based PSML and as
default role an "externalUsers" role, so that external users have all
the same view of the application.

Internal users on the other hand get created by the admin of the
institution and we would like to have their profile based on a different
role PSML, say an "internalUsers" role, a role with different
features/panels and so on. So here, we would have liked to say if user
is being created by the admin of the institution, create a profile based
on the 'internalUsers' roles, but if it is an external user (ie.
Anonymous) create a role PSML based profile based on the 'externalUsers'
role.

But, if I am right we cannot set that programmatically? I.e: you can not
decide which default role PSML to point to for newly added users, at run
time!

Thank you.

Mehdi--