Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by andronat_asf <an...@hotmail.com> on 2010/12/10 16:24:01 UTC

ASF Mentoring Program

	Hello my name is Anastasis Andronidis, I am an undergraduate Computer Science student in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, and it would be of my utmost interest to participate in the ASF Mentoring Program. I would be delighted to offer the best of my efforts to the Geronimo project.

	My main interest lies in developing and bug testing. I am also enrolled in opense.net,  an educational framework supported by my university,and where currently the ASF has expressed their interest in finding mentees

	Currently I am interested in solving this issue: https://issues.apache.org:443/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5717 or https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5729 or
anything else that the community believes is more needed.

	Apart from completing the mandatory project in the 'Introduction to Software Engineering' course, the main reason for me wanting to join the ASF Mentoring program is that more than anything to contribute to the Open Source community, not to mention the experience I would gain by working for the most accomplished community that developed really popular projects including the most popular, Apache Web-Server

	I am new to all this and I don't really know what I exactly have to do for being accepted as a mentee in this program, so any advice would be more than welcome!

Re: ASF Mentoring Program

Posted by Rex Wang <rw...@gmail.com>.
Hi andronat

Thanks for your interests in Geronimo project!

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5717 should not be a problem,
so you don't need take a look at it.

As kevan mentioned, I also suggest you find a single aspect of the project
to start. That might be the practices of everyone here :-)

-Rex

--
Lei Wang (Rex)
rwonly AT apache.org

Re: ASF Mentoring Program

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 14, 2010, at 4:20 PM, andronat_asf wrote:

> I mostly thank you all for your replies!
>
> 	I like developing most of all and this is my main target! I don't really know where to start from, because all aspects seam so exciting and interesting xD. I think I would start by setting up Geronimo and get busy with GERONIMO-5729 right after.
>
> 	My problem however is that I am new all these issues regarding the community and I am not sure whom I'm supposed to mail if I get stuck or if I need to ensure that I am doing the right thing... I would also like to ask if there are any tools that can help me do the job faster?

You are always welcome to use the mailing list. There is also a Geronimo IRC channel -- irc://irc.freenode.net/geronimo which can be used for more immediate conversations.

Tools-wise, many people use Eclipse. However, a fair number of people use IntelliJ IDEA, also. You'll need Maven -- version 2.2.1 (although some people are using Maven 3.0.1).

That should be sufficient for most of your near-term requirements.

> I also made a JIRA account as you proposed; My username is: andronat

Great. We'll register you as a contributor, which will allow you to assign Jira's to yourself -- indicating to others that you are working on a particular issue...

--kevan

Re: ASF Mentoring Program

Posted by andronat_asf <an...@hotmail.com>.
	I just got the acknowledgement of the ICLA. I believe I am ready to go :D

	The past 2 days i was trying to track down how routing is working and why GERONIMO-5729 occurs. As I said I'm new to all these stuff but i understood that configurations for routing are based on web.xml files of each site. I also found some java classes that manage URL filtering (RedirectByHashFilter.java, PlutoURLRebuildFilter.java) and i suppose that the answer is somewhere there.

	Comments would be nice :)

Re: ASF Mentoring Program

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: ASF Mentoring Program