Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tobias Terhaar <to...@gmx.de> on 2008/10/15 15:24:37 UTC

omit externals of externals

Hi everybody,

I have a problem and I hope this is the right place to get some answers.

I have the following wc structure:
    comp
       |\- inc
       |\- imports   <<-- on this folder there are svn:externals definitions
       |  \- comp2 <-- imported folder of second component
       |       |\- inc
       |       |   ....
       |        \- src
        \- src

and

   product
     |\imports   <<-- svn:external definitions
       |\ comp
       |     |\- inc
       |     |\- imports   <<-- on this folder there are svn:externals definitions
       |     |  \- comp2 <-- imported folder of second component
       |     \- src
       \ comp2
             |\- inc
             \- src

Do you see the problem? The product folder contains 2 times the "comp2"!
Is there a possibility to advise the svn:externals on product/imports to omit the nested externals on
  product/imports/comp/imports

The reason for the nested external is, that the "comp" can be checked out as standalone component and inside a product.

Hope everybody understand my problem...

Kind regards,

Tobias Terhaar

Jetzt dabei sein: http://www.shortview.de/wasistshortview.php?mc=sv_ext_mf@gmx

Re: omit externals of externals

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 15, 2008, at 10:24, Tobias Terhaar wrote:

> I have the following wc structure:
>     comp
>        |\- inc
>        |\- imports   <<-- on this folder there are svn:externals
> definitions
>        |  \- comp2 <-- imported folder of second component
>        |       |\- inc
>        |       |   ....
>        |        \- src
>         \- src
>
> and
>
>    product
>      |\imports   <<-- svn:external definitions
>        |\ comp
>        |     |\- inc
>        |     |\- imports   <<-- on this folder there are
> svn:externals definitions
>        |     |  \- comp2 <-- imported folder of second component
>        |     \- src
>        \ comp2
>              |\- inc
>              |      ....
>              \- src
>
> Do you see the problem? The product folder contains 2 times the
> "comp2"!
> Is there a possibility to advise the svn:externals on product/
> imports to omit the nested externals on
>   product/imports/comp/imports
>
> The reason for the nested external is, that the "comp" can be
> checked out as standalone component and inside a product.
>
> Hope everybody understand my problem...

I do understand the problem, but there isn't a way to tell Subversion
to do that automatically.

You could "svn co --ignore-externals product" and then "svn up
product/imports --ignore-externals". I think that will work.

You would have to remember to use "--ignore-externals" every time you
update, to avoid pulling in the externals you don't want.