Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Mahmoud Al-Ewiwi <me...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/14 19:54:04 UTC

Unclear Hadoop 2.1X documentation

Hello,

I'm new to Hadoop and i want to learn it in order to do a project.
I'v started reading the documentation at this site:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.1.0-beta/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SingleCluster.html

for setting a single node, but i could not figure a lot of things in these
documentation.

1."You should be able to obtain the MapReduce tarball from the release"

I could not find this tarball, where is it.

2."You will need protoc 2.5.0 installed"

what is that, there is no even a link for it or what is it

3."Assuming you have installed hadoop-common/hadoop-hdfs"

what also are these, and why you are assuming that. i have just downlaod
the hadoop-2.1.0-beta<http://ftp.itu.edu.tr/Mirror/Apache/hadoop/common/hadoop-2.1.0-beta/>and
extracted it

4. and exported *$HADOOP_COMMON_HOME*/*$HADOOP_HDFS_HOME*

!! that is strange, to where should these environment variables indicating

lastly as i know,the first step tutorial should give more details. or am i
searching the wrong side.
**
**

Re: Unclear Hadoop 2.1X documentation

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
Moving general@ to bcc and redirecting this to the appropriate list -
user@hadoop.apache.org

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mahmoud Al-Ewiwi <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all,
and thanks to you Mr. Singh your tutorials are very good and now it works
perfectly.

Best Regards

Posted by Anshu Prateek <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jagat Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mahmoud

Posted by Mahmoud Al-Ewiwi <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ted,

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Mahmoud Al-Ewiwi <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.
Along with what Ted says...  Find someone with a packaged demo or continue trying to manage your way through the install.

This is why some vendors are succesfull packaging Hadoop and offering support services: it's not always an easy task.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
It might be easier if you start with some sandbox environment for your
first setup.
Search 'hadoop sandbox' in google.

Cheers

Posted by Mahmoud Al-Ewiwi <me...@gmail.com>.
sorry, but i can't figure where
*$HADOOP_HDFS_HOME,* *$HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME,**$HADOOP_YARN_HOME and *
*$HADOOP_MAPRED_HOME *
pointing to*
*

Posted by Mahmoud Al-Ewiwi <me...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mr. Ted

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Ray DiGiacomo, Jr." <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mahmoud,

You are not the only one who thinks the Apache Hadoop installation
documentation is unclear.

You may want to train with a Hadoop trainer instead of going the
pain-staking process of reading through Apache Hadoop setup documentation.

Check out Lion Data Systems.  They have web-based and in-person Apache
Hadoop training courses to numb your pain.  They also train people on R as
well:

liondatasystems.com/courses

- Ray