Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Juan Machado <ju...@itos.uga.edu> on 2005/08/10 22:55:18 UTC

Scores problems

Hello,

I've been using Spamassasin for years now and it seems to be that
something happened after my last OS update.

OS: RH 4
Spamassasin ver 3.0.4
Invoking via Amavis-new

3 weeks ago when we did an OS and SA update, our users started getting
50-100 spam messages a day (we're dropping any message with a hits>6.5)
... they used to get 1 or 0 a day.

We decided to go back to the previous version of SA to see if that fixes
the problem ... no luck.
After testing different things, I decided to increase the timeouts of
SA, Razor and Phyzor to 60. After that, it normalized a little bit to 2
to 8 non-detected spam messages per user.

My question is about user_prefs file.

We're getting a lot of PORN messages that are not being caught by SA.
The header of these messages looks like:

My question is : Should this header show more tests ? Like the one for
the PORN stuff ? The message is question should be caught by SA, NO WAY
is going to pass a good SA installation (I won't send the message to the
list .. it is really nasty)

Under /usr/share/spamassassin, I have the following files:

10_misc.cf             20_html_tests.cf     25_hashcash.cf
60_whitelist.cf
20_anti_ratware.cf     20_meta_tests.cf     25_spf.cf       languages
20_body_tests.cf       20_phrases.cf        25_uribl.cf     triplets.txt
20_compensate.cf       20_porn.cf           30_text_de.cf   user_prefs
20_dnsbl_tests.cf      20_ratware.cf        30_text_fr.cf
user_prefs.template
20_drugs.cf            20_uri_tests.cf      30_text_nl.cf
20_fake_helo_tests.cf  23_bayes.cf          30_text_pl.cf
20_head_tests.cf       25_body_tests_es.cf  50_scores.cf

user_prefs file doesn't have anything like the one I found at
http://spamassassin.apache.org/tests_3_0_x.html

Any idea ?

Thank a lot for your help.

Juan Machado
Manager, Technology Solutions Division
ITOS - Carl Vinson Institute of Government
The University of Georgia