Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Bob Byron <bb...@radit.com> on 1999/11/09 17:01:25 UTC

access.log for Tomcat?

I want to start monitoring the access to my website under Tomcat.  Apache has the "access.log".  How do I turn on something similar for Tomcat.  Also, what other tools are available for monitoring traffic under Tomcat.  I know Tomcat is new, but I was wondering if any of the Apache stuff could be used.

Bob Byron
RAD Systems, Inc.
www.radit.com
(972)516-4256

Re: access.log for Tomcat?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
Bob Byron wrote:

> I want to start monitoring the access to my website under Tomcat.  Apache has the "access.log".  How do I turn on something similar for Tomcat.  Also, what other tools are available for monitoring traffic under Tomcat.  I know Tomcat is new, but I was wondering if any of the Apache stuff could be used.
>
> Bob Byron

Once the connector code to Apache is completed, you can in fact use Apache's logging facilities, because all responses are routed back through the web server.  In stand-alone mode, there isn't any current support for access log style reporting.  I use the log() method, which writes to System.out, to log
my own activity records.

Contributions of code to do this are welcome.  I would suggest looking at implementing this with a ServiceInterceptor's postInvoke() method, so that you can use it if you need it (stand-alone Tomcat), or not if you don't (connected to Apache or some other web server that does logging for you).

Craig McClanahan