Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/01/22 21:24:42 UTC

Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Following the release process for projects in incubation, I'd like to
request approval for Woden to declare milestone 3. A vote was held on the
woden-dev list where M3 received 5 +1 votes and no negative votes. The
votes collected are as follows:

John Kaputin +1
Lawrence Mandel +1
Dims +1
Jeremy Hughes +1
Arthur Ryman +1

As required of releases from projects in incubation, the distributable
archives contain incubating in their names. The M3 archives can be found
at http://cvs.apache.org/dist/ws/woden/milestones/1.0.0M3-incubating/.

My original post summarizing Woden 1.0.0 M3 is below.

Please vote by 5pm EST, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2006.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel

----- Forwarded by Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM on 01/22/2006 03:22 PM
-----

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
01/18/2006 04:55 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc
pmc@incubator.apache.org, pmc@ws.apache.org
Subject
Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate - please vote by EOD Thursday, Jan. 19

Woden committers, I'd like to request your vote on the status of M3. I've
placed a Woden 1.0.0
M3 Candidate build at

http://cvs.apache.org/dist/ws/woden/milestones/1.0.0M3-incubating/

The Woden M3 candidate includes the major work items from the M3 plan.
Specifically, the following items are complete in the M3 Candidate:

Parsing of WSDL 2.0 import and include (DOM)
WSDL 2.0 Service parsing (DOM)
Implement validation logic for Binding
Unit tests for validation logic for Binding
Integrate W3C WSDL 2.0 Binding tests into Woden test suite

The following items are incomplete in the M2 plan:

Unit tests for import and include parsing (DOM)
WSDL 2.0 HTTP Binding extension (DOM)
Unit tests for HTTP Binding extension (DOM)
Unit tests for Service parsing (DOM)
Investigate WSDL 2.0 parsing with StAX
Update technical documentation about Woden design and implementation on
Wiki
Create initial user documentation

In an effort to make Woden more immediately usable, we deferred HTTP
Binding extension work to M4 in favour of adding support for WSDL import
and include elements. StAX will continue to be an investigation item until
the DOM implementation is close to complete or we get more development
help. John and I are working on user documentation and should have it
ready for the Woden site around the proposed M3 release on Friday.
Automated tests for the parser continue to require attention but, as John
has conducted manual testing and the W3C test suite has been integrated
into the Woden automated test suite, we are in good shape for M3.

Both John and I think Woden is in good shape to declare M3 as solid
progress has been made on the parser and the validator. At this point we'd
like to ask the Woden committers to vote on the status of M3. John and I
both vote +1 (so +2). Please vote ASAP. We will collect votes until EOD
(5pm EST) Thursday, Jan. 19. If there are no negative votes I will then
request WS and Incubator PMC approval to release M3 by EOD Friday, Jan.
20. Once the PMCs approve, M3 will be declared and a link will be placed
on the Woden site. (Feel free to reply to this note with any concerns over
this process.)

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel

Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
I thought I was. I subscribed again in case I wasn't.

Lawrence

Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>
Sent by: jpjhughes@gmail.com
01/24/2006 03:37 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev

woden-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD
Jan. 24

Hi Lawrence, are you subscribed to general@i ... I don't think it will
appear if you're not.

Jeremy

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Release process ( Was Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
In
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3cC5C127EF-E3AB-4D72-A0B8-54FB51923A05@gbiv.com%3e

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
>
>> Sanjiva,
>>
>> Sorry about violating Apache netiquette. This was not intentional.  I had
>> previously been asked to send this vote to the incubator and ws pmc
>> lists
>> and was advised to send it to the general@incubator list as well.
>>
>> To be honest, I'm feeling pretty lost wrt the correct process to
>> release a
>> milestone driver from an incubator project and would appreciate  guidance
>> from the community. The information I have is to:
>>
>> 1. Hold a vote amongst the project's committers on the project's  mailing
>> list.
>> 2. Request approval from the incubator and, in Woden's case, WS  pmcs by
>> sending an e-mail requesting a vote to pmc@ws, pmc@incubator, and
>> general@incubator.
>
> All release votes must be made on public lists.  Even if people say
> yes in private, they still need to vote in public.  So, you should
> hold a vote on woden-dev and then send a summary of that vote to
> general@incubator, saying pointedly that you need X more +1 votes
> from incubator PMC members within 72 hours.
>
>> Assuming no negative votes, the milestone can be released.
>
> Minimum three binding (official PMC) +1 votes and a majority of all
> votes being positive.  Releases do not need consensus.

I logged INCUBATOR-14 to remind myself to improve the info at
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases .
I think even a little more clarification in this section would be helpful.

I'll start a [doc] thread for this after the Incubator site conversion
[1] settles down. (Existence of the Jira issue will keep me from
forgetting.)

-jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3c20060129052435.GA261@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e

Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Paul

On 1/25/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
>
> > Sanjiva,
> >
> > Sorry about violating Apache netiquette. This was not intentional.
> > I had
> > previously been asked to send this vote to the incubator and ws pmc
> > lists
> > and was advised to send it to the general@incubator list as well.
> >
> > To be honest, I'm feeling pretty lost wrt the correct process to
> > release a
> > milestone driver from an incubator project and would appreciate
> > guidance
> > from the community. The information I have is to:
> >
> > 1. Hold a vote amongst the project's committers on the project's
> > mailing
> > list.
> > 2. Request approval from the incubator and, in Woden's case, WS
> > pmcs by
> > sending an e-mail requesting a vote to pmc@ws, pmc@incubator, and
> > general@incubator.
>
> All release votes must be made on public lists.  Even if people say
> yes in private, they still need to vote in public.  So, you should
> hold a vote on woden-dev and then send a summary of that vote to
> general@incubator, saying pointedly that you need X more +1 votes
> from incubator PMC members within 72 hours.
>
> > Assuming no negative votes, the milestone can be released.
>
> Minimum three binding (official PMC) +1 votes and a majority of all
> votes being positive.  Releases do not need consensus.
>
> ....Roy

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Sanjiva,

Sorry about violating Apache netiquette. This was not intentional. I had
previously been asked to send this vote to the incubator and ws pmc lists
and was advised to send it to the general@incubator list as well.

To be honest, I'm feeling pretty lost wrt the correct process to release a
milestone driver from an incubator project and would appreciate guidance
from the community. The information I have is to:

1. Hold a vote amongst the project's committers on the project's mailing
list.
2. Request approval from the incubator and, in Woden's case, WS pmcs by
sending an e-mail requesting a vote to pmc@ws, pmc@incubator, and
general@incubator.

Assuming no negative votes, the milestone can be released.

I think it would be useful to formally declare this process on the
incubator site so all incubator projects have a defined process to follow.

BTW, as you said that my mail did make it to general@incubator and
pmc@incubator, have you seen any replies? I have yet to see one.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel

Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>
01/24/2006 06:40 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev

general@incubator.apache.org
cc
"woden-dev@ws.apache.org" <wo...@ws.apache.org>
Subject

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 13:54 -0500, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
> *note: I'm resending this message as I don't believe it showed up on
> general@incubator.

Lawrence please don't send to general@ and a private list (the PMC
lists). That's against Apache email netiquette ..

Unless I am mistaken your mail did make it to general@.

Sanjiva.

Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Sanjiva,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Woden M3 has received the necessary PMC votes from Dims, Paul, Sanjiva,
and Tom. M3 will be declared today.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel

Lawrence Mandel/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
01/24/2006 01:54 PM
Please respond to
woden-dev

general@incubator.apache.org, pmc@ws.apache.org, pmc@incubator.apache.org
cc
woden-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject

RE: Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Posted by Tom Jordahl <tj...@adobe.com>.
+1

Tom Jordahl
Web Service PMC