Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2010/07/15 13:02:21 UTC

Re: What for a Documentation Tool (WAS -> Re: HBase Hackathon IV Wrap-up)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

Looking more, is it fair to say that using daisy just for
> documentation, going to an extreme, is a little like using a laptop
> for an alarm clock?  A laptop makes for a perfectly good alarm clock,
> but its not what you'd primarily use it for.  Daisy can be used as a
> documentation system, but to extract the most value of a daisy
> install, it should be serving hbase.org (or at least the wiki part of
> hbase.org)?

Yep, Daisy can do all that and more, maybe we should look into an alarm
clock extension as well. :)

My thing is that, like yourselves, we (hbase dev) have limited
> resources to devote to the doc project.  For me, choosing something
> like docbook -- a 'standard', a docsystem I and others already 'know'
> that has good integration with our maven build system -- seems like
> less work overall.

Maybe we can come back to this when we have more resources to donate, in the
sense of actual people contributing to the documentation. I'm sure there's
still value in taking on Daisy but as you say, it's mostly all or nothing,
and even though the WYSIWYG authoring helps for being productive, it's not
easily integrated in an offline dev toolchain.

Cheers,

Steven.
Open Source Content Applications
Makers of Kauri, Daisy CMS and Lily