Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/31 17:35:29 UTC

Using Ivy ?

Hi folks,

while creating the release I wondered about the size of the
distributables and how to reduce them, esp. in the src ones. One of
things to do here would obviously be fetching the required jars from a
central repository.
Now I'm not that much of a Maven guy, and given the troubles that the
jakarta commons guys had/have, I'd rather avoid Maven 1 (Maven 2 might
be worth checking out though).
However, we can have this easier if we wanted, with the help of Ivy
(http://www.jayasoft.org/ivy). It basically performs the dependency
management for Ant, e.g. loads jars that we depend upon, from ibiblio
or some other central repository. There's even ways to automatically
use the ivy dependency descriptors as a classpath in Eclipse (perhaps
also for IDEA, havn't checked).

WDYT, should I try to integrate Ivy into OJB ?

Tom

Re: Using Ivy ?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/3/06, Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/1/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/31/05, Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > WDYT, should I try to integrate Ivy into OJB ?
> >
> > From what I understand, the Maven 2 Ant libs are a better option.
> > Someone's blog (ie could be wrong) suggested they would be rolled into
> > a future version of Ant.
>
> My motivation would be that we don't have to put the jars in the
> repository/source dist, and in the Eclipse classpath file. Will Maven2
> be able to do this as well ?

Definitely the first one: http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks.html

I'm not an Eclipse expert to know about the second. As I usually use
Maven, I never put .classpath and .project into svn, I just run 'maven
eclipse' to generate them locally. I suspect you would just point your
classpath at whatever directory the maven dependencies task downloads
the jars into.

Hen

Re: Using Ivy ?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@gmail.com>.
Thomas Dudziak wrote:

>On 1/1/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 12/31/05, Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Now I'm not that much of a Maven guy, and given the troubles that the
>>>jakarta commons guys had/have, I'd rather avoid Maven 1 (Maven 2 might be worth checking out though).
>>>

>>To be fair, the Commons problems are with the multiproject concept in
>>Maven. Provided you're not trying to be too customised, Maven 1 works
>>very well for a single project/jar.
>>

>I didn't want to discredit Maven, but then again OJB does some special
>things in its build file which probably won't work with pure Maven,
>and I do not really want to write Maven plugins.

In Maven 2, there is an Ant-pluging. Maybe we can take advantage of it
for the special OJB needs.

>>>WDYT, should I try to integrate Ivy into OJB ?
>>>

>>>From what I understand, the Maven 2 Ant libs are a better option.
>>Someone's blog (ie could be wrong) suggested they would be rolled into
>>a future version of Ant.
>>

>My motivation would be that we don't have to put the jars in the
>repository/source dist, and in the Eclipse classpath file. Will Maven2
>be able to do this as well ?

Yep. Maven2 is able to build an eclipse project:
http://maven.apache.org/eclipse-plugin.html

HTH,

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: Using Ivy ?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 1/1/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/05, Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now I'm not that much of a Maven guy, and given the troubles that the
> > jakarta commons guys had/have, I'd rather avoid Maven 1 (Maven 2 might be worth checking out though).
>
> To be fair, the Commons problems are with the multiproject concept in
> Maven. Provided you're not trying to be too customised, Maven 1 works
> very well for a single project/jar.

I didn't want to discredit Maven, but then again OJB does some special
things in its build file which probably won't work with pure Maven,
and I do not really want to write Maven plugins.

> > WDYT, should I try to integrate Ivy into OJB ?
>
> From what I understand, the Maven 2 Ant libs are a better option.
> Someone's blog (ie could be wrong) suggested they would be rolled into
> a future version of Ant.

My motivation would be that we don't have to put the jars in the
repository/source dist, and in the Eclipse classpath file. Will Maven2
be able to do this as well ?

regards,
Tom

Re: Using Ivy ?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Using Ivy ?

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
I've not used Ivy, but would be willing to see how it works.
Conceptually I think it is a good idea. Personally, I don't mind
storing jars in subversion.

+0

-Brian