Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Delebecque <He...@supelec.fr> on 2001/06/28 16:18:16 UTC

servlets outside the webapps directory with mod_webapp ?

Hello,
I have the following configuration:
Tomcat 4.0 b5
Apache 1.3.19
mod_webapp

I try to reach servlets located outside the webapps directory,
not directly with Tomcat, but using Apache.

My first try was to define a Context, like I made previously with
the mod_jk connecting module, in the server.xml file, in
the Apache-Connector Service part of it:
<Context path="kekhia" docBase="/usr/users/webmaste/kekhia"... />
Unfortunately, Tomcat refuses this declaration, even if I include it
in a <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"...> declaration, like
it is done in the Tomcat-Standalone Service description.

My second try was to include a "WebAppDeploy" instruction in the
httpd.conf file, but I don't how to fill the "application name" argument:
I have tried with the name of the servlet I want to invoke, an arbitrary
name, nothing works.

So, to be concise (thanks for reading me to this point), what is a WAR,
and what is the relation of a WAR vs a servlet ?

Thanks a lot.

| Henri Delebecque                        delebecq@supelec.fr |
| Webmaster                                                   |
| Supelec                          Tel (33)  01.69.85.14.91   |
| 3 rue Joliot-Curie                                          |
| Plateau de Moulon                 Fax:(33) 01.69.85.12.34   |
| 91190 Gif sur Yvette                                        |
| FRANCE                                                      |