Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Bulgrien, Kevin" <Ke...@TriPointGlobal.com> on 2004/09/24 20:46:27 UTC

RE: I miss ... simplicity

Lurking to see how comfortable the water is.  Use CVS day in
and day out.  Driven crazy by quirks and CVS developers
attitudes about basic things because it is the way it is
because OUR WAY IS THE ONLY REASONABLE WAY TO DO THINGS
NOW GO OFF INTO YOUR HOLE AND SHUTUP OR USE SOMETHING ELSE
AND SEE IF WE CARE.  Tried svn and remembering the day I
tried CVS without ever having done version control before,
SVN appears to be not so simple, even after I have been
using version control for years.  Have heard other newbies
saying how much easier it is.  Hmm.  You know, the true test
of simplicity, though, is when experts at other things find
yours simple.  I'll try again, but ... I miss simplicity.
I will probably end up using it because of modules, line-
endings, meta-info, etc, but ... I miss simplicity.  At
least svn developers don't seem to use nukes as frequently
as the guys on the other side of the world do, so I'll
probably at least survive the ordeal.

Re: I miss ... simplicity

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
It would be great if you could write a little bit more detailed
example of things which are not so simple in SVN.

For example:

When I do <....> in CVS, I do it in following way:
<CVS command line example>

In SVN I have to do:
<SVN command line 1>
<SVN another awkward command line>
<SVN and so on>

We can't correct our faults if we don't know what they are.

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach