Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by David Maurer <dp...@hotmail.com> on 2020/06/10 17:28:12 UTC

Status of OpenOffice

Hi,

LibreOffice provides no Support or email address so I'm trying this email address to ask you guys a question.

I've had OpenOffice on my computer for many years.

Around May 10, 2020 I was looking at an OpenOffice word document after losing computer access and internet access for two years, due to financial problems.

I noticed that no message popped on like before re "update available", so I started web searching.

Some websites were basically claiming  that OpenOffice couldn't support itself any longer and recommending LbreOffice, so I downloaded it - it appears to be almost exactly the same as OpenOffice.

I've got lots of documents on my computer I made over the years with OpenOffice.  Whenever I look at one now it comes on the screen, but I see a LibreOffice logo. (I've only used the word processing portion of OpenOffice).

So my question is - should I delete/uninstall OpenOffice on my computer, since Libre Office seems to read all the files with no problem?

Again, I'm only reaching out to you all since LibreOffice provides no Support or email address (understandable if they're open source) - so I'm sorry if Open Office went to it's demise, and if anybody is out there reading this I appreciate you answering my question.

Thanks,

David

Re: Status of OpenOffice

Posted by Leon Zar <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,
I use both Open Office (OO) and Libre Office (LO) on my Mac.  I have a
preference for LO because I write a lot of VB macros and LO has a slightly
nicer development environment for them (or at least it used to).  Also, LO
has the ability to edit .pdf files, although it's a bit clunky.
First off, I can tell you that OO (and LO) are both actively supported.
You can download new versions of OO (free) from their official website:
download.openoffice.org.
You are correct that both OO and LO are pretty much interchangeable, but
have slight differences in the UI and some functions.  If using VB macros,
there are some functions that exist in one product but not the other.  They
can both create and update word docs and spreadsheets created by the other
product.  I've found some bugs in LO that also exist in OO, so they are
somewhat compatible in that regard, also!
You don't need to uninstall LO to make the document icons refer to OO.
Just open them from within OO and they should all revert to using OO to
open them in the future.
Regards,
  Leon

Re: Status of OpenOffice

Posted by Simon Phipps <we...@apache.org>.
For LibreOffice support you can visit https://ask.libreoffice.org/

Cheers

Simon

Re: Status of OpenOffice

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
Actually, LibreOffice does have an email address:
mailing list. But to your question. Whether you should delete AOO or not
is simply your choice. You can have both programs on your computer.
However, you would be advised to not run both at the same time. I know
how to do this, but most do not.

Both programs have people who advocate for others to use their version.
They are even known to state things that are not true such as
"OpenOffice couldn't support itself any longer". Both have their own
mailing list as their support system. I recommend that you join one or
both of these mailing lists. (I as well as others are members of both.)

Since this is a mailing list where you sent your email, anything more
that you may want to know should be send to users@openoffice.apache.org
as you did this email. This way all members of the mailing list will see
your concern and can reply.

Dan