Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tech Geek <te...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/07 05:15:24 UTC

Why doesn't 'svnadmin create' creates tags, branches, trunk?

So I am relatively new to subversion as compared to most of the folks on
this mailing list. After seeing lot of examples over the web and reading
official subversion book it seems that almost every body creates their
repository in some or the other way with tags, branches and trunk structure
even though for Subvrsion itself these concepts do not exits.

So why don't we have (read as a feature) something like this:

# svnadmin create --tbt new_repo

and a repositroy with following strcuture is created (automatically)

# ls /var/lib/svn/new_repo
branches
tags
trunk

Basically the optional arugment "--tbt" in the above command creates the
sub-directories tags, branches, trunk automatically for you.

It would be a nice (raed useful) feature to have.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Re: Why doesn't 'svnadmin create' creates tags, branches, trunk?

Posted by Siva Kumar <gs...@gmail.com>.
You can achieve the same by having a svnadmin alias in linux and a
wrapper batch in windows.

Re: Why doesn't 'svnadmin create' creates tags, branches, trunk?

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Tech Geek <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So why don't we have (read as a feature) something like this:
>
> # svnadmin create --tbt new_repo
>
> and a repositroy with following strcuture is created (automatically)
>
> # ls /var/lib/svn/new_repo
> branches
> tags
> trunk

It would be useful, but maybe not as useful as you think. Most places
use a single repository for multiple projects, and prefer to keep the
trunk, tags, and branches directories under their projects and not at
the root of their repositories.

Remember that the "branches", "tags", and "trunk" are simply
"recommendations" and not requirements. I might want to use "main",
"labels", and "branches" if I am at a sight that are more use to those
terms. Or, if I'm working for a non-English speaking company, I might
prefer to call these directories in my local language.

The "svncreate" command isn't a very common command to run. (How many
times do you have to create repositories at a particular site
anyway?). So, even though this would be a nifty feature, it isn't much
of a time saver.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Why doesn't 'svnadmin create' creates tags, branches, trunk?

Posted by Tech Geek <te...@gmail.com>.
I  just noticed that the CollabNet's Subversion Edge has this feature when
you create the repository from the web browser interface.

I guess at least I am not the only one (perhaps) who thought about this.

RE: Why doesn't 'svnadmin create' creates tags, branches, trunk?

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> > From: Tech Geek [mailto:techgeek12345@gmail.com]
> >
> > So why don't we have (read as a feature) something like this:
> >
> > # svnadmin create --tbt new_repo
> >
> > and a repositroy with following strcuture is created
> (automatically)
> >
> > # ls /var/lib/svn/new_repo
> > branches
> > tags
> > trunk
>
> I have several repositories of my own, and I support several more,
> for
> various companies that I work for.  None of them have the branches
> & tags at
> the top level of the repo, because the repo actually contains many
> separate
> independent projects.  You should stick your branches & tags dir at
> whatever
> levels of the tree you'd be interested in branching & tagging.
>
> If you did the -tbt switch, it's just a lazy way to eliminate a
> single "svn
> mkdir" after the "svnadmin create."  Not really worth while, imho.
> If you
> can remember the "-tbt" then you can remember the "svn mkdir."

Create a template repository with the folders you want in it. Then dump it. Save that file somewhere.

After you create a repo you can do an svnadmin load --ignore-uuid < templatedumpfile

(so you retain the unique uuid in the newly created repo).

You can even create a batch/command for this to do it with one command.

BOb

RE: Why doesn't 'svnadmin create' creates tags, branches, trunk?

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Edward Ned Harvey <sv...@nedharvey.com>.