Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Hannum Daniel <da...@siemens.com> on 2003/06/16 17:47:48 UTC

Confusion between characters and bytes

I believe I found a serious documentation error in the TransService
interface. TransService.hpp says, in the definition of TranscodeFrom:

      * @param srcData the source buffer to be transcoded
      * @param srcCount number of characters in the source buffer
      * @param toFill the destination buffer
      * @param maxChars the max number of characters in the destination
buffer

I am using the UCS-4 transcoder in a test. I wanted to transcode 4 UCS-4
characters, so I passed 4 as the second parameter (counting characters, not
bytes). It returned a single UTF-16 character, as if it had interpreted my 4
as a number of bytes (one UCS-4 character, so it output the single
corresponding UTF-16 character.)

Changing the second parameter to 16 made it output all 4 UTF-16 characters.

Now this calls into question the fourth parameter of TranscodeFrom as well
as the corresponding parameters of TranscodeTo. As I continue my test, I
imagine I'll discover whether you mean characters or bytes in each case.

For now, I'm just reporting a bug.

dan

otherwise confidential information.  Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing,
be unlawful.  If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to CSOffice@smed.com.  Thank you