Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by alanz <aj...@yahoo.com> on 2002/10/27 18:02:51 UTC

What is wsdl2java for?

It seems to me WSDL2Java should generate the
testclient and the service classes for the web service
described in the WSDL. But instead, wsdl2java
generates a bunch of RMI like stubs and skeletons and
interfaces. I guess this effort is for the JAX-RPC
support?  For people doing Web Services this seems
irrelevant? Maybe because of my lack of knowledge on
JAX-RPC? What exactly is the JAX-RPC support have
anything to do with SOAP web services?

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Re: What is wsdl2java for?

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@expway.fr>.
Steve Loughran wrote:
> not really; JAX-RPC is the jav standard way of writing servers and clients,
> the idea being the code you can then write is going to work across different
> implementations of the API

In chapter 19 (page 137 of my printout of the PDF version) JAX-RPC lists
two examples (ie they are unfortunately not normative) of XMLWriter and
XMLReader interfaces.

Having some form of standard way at that level would imho be valuable,
is there any chance that that will happen? How is it handled within
Axis? Replacing their XMLReader with JAXP would imho be a good idea, but
what is used where the XMLWriter is concerned?

--
Robin Berjon <ro...@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway

Re: What is wsdl2java for?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Posted by alanz <aj...@yahoo.com>.
Thank u for the response. I am not familiar with the
underlying implementation of AXIS. Even JAX-RPC is its
fundation, all that should really be transparent to
the web services developers. Looking at the samples,
some of them doesn't the stub and skeleton stuff, just
and client and a service, handlers(if any), like the
message smaple, attachment sample and the ones under
usersguide. Could you explain when the JAX-RPC is
needed?  also are you going to have interoperability
issues (with .NET) when JAX-RPC is exposed?

Thanks,

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Re: What is wsdl2java for?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> It seems to me WSDL2Java should generate the
> testclient and the service classes for the web service
> described in the WSDL.

it does just that if you ask it nicely, -testcase and -server, I think

> But instead, wsdl2java
> generates a bunch of RMI like stubs and skeletons and
> interfaces.

does that too