Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Klaus Malorny <Kl...@knipp.de> on 2009/12/08 13:00:24 UTC

fop 0.95 & SVG & PDF & font embedding

Hi,

sorry if this is a FAQ, but I did my homework and did not find any satisfying
answer.

I am using fop 0.95 to build a PDF document. Platform is HP-UX, Java 6,
headless. The document contains an SVG, created by Inkscape. Besides some
scaling issues (for which Inkscape is responsible and which have been resolved
so far), I have the problem that the font referenced from the SVG (DejaVu Sans)
is not used for rendering, but Helvetica instead. The font embedding itself
works -- the surrounding text, generated via XSL:FO, appears in the DejaVu Sans
font. The fonts are included via the FOP configuration file.

Interestingly, a few years ago I did the same with 0.93/Java 5 on a similar
platform, but with different fonts, and it worked like a charm. Any idea why
this no longer works would be appreciated.

Regards,
Klaus

Re: fop 0.95 & SVG & PDF & font embedding

Posted by Klaus Malorny <Kl...@knipp.de>.
On 08/12/09 13:44, Pascal Sancho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Batik (SVG engine used by FOP) uses fonts installed on your system.
> Threfore, you need to both set it in FOP conf ig file AND make it
> available in your system.
> See FOP list archive [1] for further info.
>
> [1] http://old.nabble.com/Japanese-fonts-in-SVG-fop-0.95-to26513163.html
>
> HTH,
> Pascal

Hi Pascal,

thanks for the information. So I just to have to figure out how to install fonts
on Unix *without* trashing the shared Java installation ;-)

By the way, in the meantime I recovered my old installation and discovered that
my memories were wrong -- it did not work neither with 0.93. I used SVGs with
text converted to curves back then.

Posted by Pascal Sancho <pa...@takoma.fr>.
Hi,