Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by CD...@hannaford.com on 2005/12/02 20:40:25 UTC

Re: JSR 286: Portlet Specification 2.0 (Stefan, please comment!) CORRECTED RESPONSE

Like you Stefan, I have been doing a lot of multitasking lately. I have a
one word correction to the response I sent this morning to your email. I
have capitialized the correction below for emphasis (portlet vendors
should be portal vendors). Sorry for the confusing wording.

Here is the corrected message:

Stefan,

Thank you for your response.

It would be a shame to limit EG membership to a single Pluto developer.
Unlike portal vendor representatives, most active Pluto developers are
independant entities and represent the portlet development community,
which are the majority of JSR-168 users. It is important to have a stable
and functional RI developed in parallel with the development of the
JSR-286 spec. Having more than one active Pluto developers on the EG would
facilitate that objective. After all, PORTAL vendors will be most
interested in refactoring their implementations rather than developing a
new RI. That is understandable. It is especially important to have more
than one Pluto member on the EG since the mailing list could becomes
private if a member objects to a public list (as you mentioned in your
response to David Sean Taylor).

I am not suggesting that all Pluto commiters be put on the EG, but that a
few active commiters be invited.

I hope you will reconsider your 'single Pluto representative on EG'
suggestion.

TIA
/Craig

Stefan Hepper <st...@apache.org>
12/01/2005 06:48 AM
Please respond to
pluto-dev@portals.apache.org

Craig Doremus <cr...@maine.com>
cc
pluto-dev@portals.apache.org
Subject
Re: JSR 286: Portlet Specification 2.0 (Stefan, please comment!)

Hi Craig,
sorry, I was on vacation the last 5 weeks, getting my new house finished
and am now trying to catch up with my mail...

My goal is to have the JSR 286 RI developed by the pluto community, and
yes, everyone can send comments, you don't need to be on the EG for
that. I'll also try to get out early public drafts as soon as possible
to give everyone the chance to comment and implement prototypes.

Ulrich will also help to get the RI development done inside the pluto
community.

I would like to have the EG not too big in order to be effective,
therefore I would suggest that the pluto community elects one member who
will represent the pluto community in the JSR 286. What does everyone
think of this?

The WSRP spec should be out for public review in Jan.

Stefan

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
My suggestion would be that David Sean Taylor remain the official
Apache rep.  Beyond that, I would like to be considered, however, I
also understand that too many hands can make things complex.  I also
agree with Craig's point that restricting the EG to one pluto
developer may hinder the development of the RI. His point about
portlet developers being represented vs. portal vendors is also valid.

Thanks for reconsidering Stefan,  if It would be helpful for you,
perhaps active committers that are interested could throw their hat in
the ring and then we could vote for one or two above and beyond DST.
That said, maybe there aren't enough *active* committers to make that
worthwhite ;)

David

On 12/5/05, Stefan Hepper <st...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Craig Doremus wrote:
> >

> > > Stefan (Hepper), can you comment on the involvement of Pluto Commiters
> > > in the development of the Portlet 2.0 (JSR-286) RI?
> > >
> > > I imagine all the Pluto committers cannot be on the Expert Group, but
> > > I'm sure that some of us (including me) want to be involved with
> > > developing the new RI.
> > >
> > > Will we be able to contribute to the JSR-286 RI if we are not on the
> > > Expert Group?
> > >
> > > We will also need to get access to the developing WSRP 2.0 spec since
> > > the new Portlet spec will align closely with the new WSRP spec (very
> > > good idea, IMHO!). But WSRP 2.0 seems to be still under wraps. Will we
> > > be able to take a peak at WSRP 2.0 soon or get a pre-release preview?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > /Craig

Re: JSR 286: Portlet Specification 2.0 (Stefan, please comment!) CORRECTED RESPONSE

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.
Thank you, Stefan:

Like David DeWolf has suggested, I would like to second the nomination of
David Sean Taylor to keep his position as Apache representative to the
Portlet Expert Group. His experience with the EG process will be very
valuable in addition to his work in various parts of Apache Portals.

I would also like to second the nomination of David DeWolf. David has lead
Pluto development for some time now and deserves EG consideration as a
Pluto representative.

I'd also like to throw my hat into the ring for EG consideration. I will
formally submit my credentials at the JSR-286 site in a day or two.

Thanks, again, for reconsidering your position.
/Craig

Stefan Hepper <st...@apache.org>
12/05/2005 02:44 AM

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@apache.org>.