Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/01 20:29:59 UTC

Re: performance study

I only know comparisons of parallel algorithms only. There's
performance and accuracy comparison between Mahout's SSVD and Lanczos
done in dissertation of N. Halko (see link at SSVD page on Mahout
wiki). There's also a "Heigen" SVD paper that discusses distributed
modified Lanczos method of a proprietary Hadoop-based implemetnation
at Yahoo. Even though it doesn't draw side-by-side comparisons, it
does present benchmark figures for the Heigen implementation so one
can approximately draw comparisons between Heigen and Mahout methods.

w.r.t to parallel vs. non-parallel, IMO the bottom line is
practicality, not necessarily speed. There are some SVD problems that
one might argue that single computer solution is not practical and
which a distributed algorithm may actually shift into realm of
practical solutions. (in a sense that you don't need days to solve
it). But IMO direct comparison still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Re: performance study

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I would like to endorse this point.

If your sparse data fits in memory on a single machine, it is very unlikely
that you will be able to improve on the cost of doing a stochastic
projection on that one machine using any Hadoop based solution.

Even with MPI and crazy RDMA networking, I doubt that you would beat it by
much, if any.

Re: performance study

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.