Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lorenz <wo...@familie-lenhardt.de> on 2004/11/04 11:19:48 UTC

naming of conficting files not documented

Hi all,

I'm merging to the difference of 2 tags to my wc.

I the case of a conflict I get 4 files in my wc named:
  <file>,
  <file>.merge-links.rXY,
  <file>.merge-rechts.rXY and
  <file>.working

This file name extentions are not documented

I identified <file> to be the merge result containing the confict
markers and <file>.working to be the original from my wc.

Am I right in assuming that left and right corresponds to the first
and second parameter of svn merge?

by the way: why is "left/right" translated but not "working"?
(I think left/right should not be translated either, but that's just
me 8-)

Lorenz     (running svn / tsvn 1.1.1 on w2k)

Re: naming of conficting files not documented

Posted by Lorenz <wo...@familie-lenhardt.de>.
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:15:36 -0600, Ben wrote:

>On Nov 4, 2004, at 5:19 AM, Lorenz wrote:
>
>> [..]
>>   <file>.merge-links.rXY,
>>   <file>.merge-rechts.rXY and
>>   <file>.working
>> [..]
>
>What do you mean they're not documented?  It's in the book right here:
>http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch03s05.html#svn-ch-3-sect-4.4

nope.

but I can't find the "merge-left/right" part or "working" anywhere.

Lorenz

Re: naming of conficting files not documented

Posted by Roel Harbers <ro...@roelharbers.nl>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2004, at 5:19 AM, Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm merging to the difference of 2 tags to my wc.
>>
>> I the case of a conflict I get 4 files in my wc named:
>>   <file>,
>>   <file>.merge-links.rXY,
>>   <file>.merge-rechts.rXY and
>>   <file>.working
>>
>> This file name extentions are not documented
>

> What do you mean they're not documented?  It's in the book right here:
>
>    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch03s05.html#svn-ch-3-sect-4.4

Except it doesn't say anything about merge-links and merge-rechts
(merge-left and merge-right in english) (or working for that matter):

sandwich.txt
sandwich.txt.mine
sandwich.txt.r1
sandwich.txt.r2

And, I have to agree with Lorenz that these should NOT be translated anyway.

Regards,

Roel Harbers

Re: naming of conficting files not documented

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.