Posted to community@apache.org by eduardo pelegri-llopart <pe...@calterra.com> on 2011/02/16 01:34:25 UTC

Experience with Contribution Agreements

Hi there.

Matthias suggested this would be a good alias to ask for experience at
ASF on Contribution Agreements.  Some of you may remember me from my
Sun days; I'm now working at RIM and as I apply my experience to our
projects I notice situations I had not considered/encountered at Sun
[2,3].

The Apache contribution agreement [1] does not seem to include a
mechanism by which a signatory of the CA can indicate that future IP
is no longer covered.  Not something to revoke previous contributions
but just for the future, say to be clear of his/her intentions.  Is
that correct?  If so, is it because the need has never arisen?,
because its hard to do legally?, because it is very easy to do?, or
something else?  BTW, as far as I know, Sun didn't have any such
mechanism either.

Thanks,
  Eduard/o (Pelegri-Llopart) - OSS @ RIM

[1]http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
[2]http://oss.oracle.com/oca-1.3.pdf
[3]http://oss.oracle.com/oca-1.4.pdf

Re: Experience with Contribution Agreements

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Cool. Always nice to see communities in sync.

Craig

On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:18 AM, eduardo pelegri-llopart wrote:

> Perfect.  Thanks.  It's always very useful to be able to borrow best
> practices from other communities.
>
>  - eduard/o
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew@apache.org
> > wrote:
>> Hi Eduardo,
>>
>> there is a list of committers (they have all submitted the ICLA) and
>> the page also contains the contributors (non-committers),
>> that signed the individual CLA:
>> http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>>
>> (search for "Persons with signed CLAs but are not committers")
>>
>> HTH,
>> Matthias
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:12 AM, eduardo pelegri-llopart
>> <pe...@calterra.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Craig!

>>> :-)

>>> Didn't know about that tick box; seems a good idea.

>>> I can think of two cases.  One is an unintentional contribution.
>>> This
>>> seems covered by the ASF ICLA clause about "intentionally
>>> submitted",
>>> which is not present in Sun's SCA.  The other is more of a
>>> "statement"
>>> where the individual might want to indicate that it no longer is
>>> supportive of the institution, but there are other ways to do that.
>>>
>>> BTW, is there a public list of everybody that has signed an ICLA/
>>> CCLA?
>>>  Something like Sun's [4].
>>>
>>> [4] http://sca.java.net/CA_signatories.htm
>>>
>>> For completeness, the current version of Oracle's CA is OCA 1.6 [5].
>>> I believe it is the same as SCA 1.5, with s/Sun/Oracle/, but not
>>> 100%
>>> sure.  It has several clauses not in the ICLA, including one
>>> specific
>>> to commercial entities indicates "Any contribution we make available
>>> under any license will also be made available under a suitable FSF
>>> (Free Software Foundation) or OSI (Open Source Initiative) approved
>>> license."  - that, of course, would not apply to ASF.
>>>
>>> [5] http://oss.oracle.com/oca.pdf
>>>
>>>  - eduard/o

>> --
>> Matthias Wessendorf

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
Chair, OpenJPA PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Experience with Contribution Agreements

Posted by eduardo pelegri-llopart <pe...@calterra.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Eduardo,

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Experience with Contribution Agreements

Posted by eduardo pelegri-llopart <pe...@calterra.com>.
Hi Craig!

<cr...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Eduardo,
>
> Well, I remember you from Sun. ;-)

:-)

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Eduardo,

Well, I remember you from Sun. ;-)

On Feb 15, 2011, at 4:34 PM, eduardo pelegri-llopart wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Matthias suggested this would be a good alias to ask for experience at
> ASF on Contribution Agreements.  Some of you may remember me from my
> Sun days; I'm now working at RIM and as I apply my experience to our
> projects I notice situations I had not considered/encountered at Sun
> [2,3].
>
> The Apache contribution agreement [1] does not seem to include a
> mechanism by which a signatory of the CA can indicate that future IP
> is no longer covered.  Not something to revoke previous contributions
> but just for the future, say to be clear of his/her intentions.  Is
> that correct?  If so, is it because the need has never arisen?,
> because its hard to do legally?, because it is very easy to do?, or
> something else?  BTW, as far as I know, Sun didn't have any such
> mechanism either.

I think the situation isn't well-understood. Once you sign the ICLA,
your contributions are covered. If you don't want future contributions
to be covered by the agreement, don't contribute any more.

If you have a test case for a bug you submit, and don't want the test
case to become part of your contribution, there's a tick box on the
bug report that says "this is not a contribution".

What is the situation that you need covered?

Regards,

Craig