Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Timothy Farkas <tf...@mapr.com> on 2018/06/01 01:05:15 UTC

Re: [Discuss] Cleanup Old PRs

Closed the first round of obsolete PRs. Went from 148 open to 125 open.

I observed some other low hanging fruit that could be closed. Specifically there were some small PRs against gh-pages, half of which were already +1'd but never merged and the other half of which looked pretty reasonable to me but never reviewed. So my question is what is the proper process for merging changes into gh-pages?

Paul to kickstart the process of pushing PRs over the line I'll compile a list of PRs that were +1'd but never merged. Perhaps we can get some committers to volunteer to update the old +1'd PRs and merge them.

Thanks,
Tim

________________________________
Posted by Timothy Farkas <tf...@mapr.com>.
I agree we should close PRs after about 3 months. We can have a middle ground as well. Github allows us to tag PRs. Probot stale allows us to exempt PRs with a matching tag from our time limit. So we can all agree on a tag to use such as "pending", then the committers can go through the PRs and tag anything that they want to grandfather in and make exempt from closing. The rest of the PRs will be closed automatically.

Since this impacts the entire community and not many people have participated in this discussion, I will put together a poll and post it on a new [Vote] thread within the next couple of days. I'll leave the Poll open for a couple of weeks and then we can take action based on the results of the poll.

Thanks,
Tim

________________________________
Posted by Pritesh Maker <pm...@mapr.com>.
+1

Re: [Discuss] Cleanup Old PRs

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.

Re: [Discuss] Cleanup Old PRs

Posted by Timothy Farkas <tf...@mapr.com>.
Hi all again!

With the latest batch commit we are down from 148 open PRs to 107. To prune things down further, I'd like to propose using probot stale https://github.com/probot/stale. This is a handy github app which automatically marks old PRs as stale and closes them. This way we can automatically and politely close PRs that have been inactive for an extended period of time.

Re: [Discuss] Cleanup Old PRs

Posted by Timothy Farkas <tf...@mapr.com>.
Hi All,

https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/292