Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/16 23:48:54 UTC

Unified config.xml

Should we be aiming to ship 2.8.0 with a unified version of config.xml in
the template, and the project created by the CLI? In adding the feature tag
support to WP7, I have been using a config.xml that has elements like this:

    <feature name="Device">
        <param name="android-package" value="org.apache.cordova.Device"/>
        <param name="ios-package" value="CDVDevice"/>
        <param name="wp-package" value="Device"/>
    </feature>

I think it would be at least worthwhile to make sure other platforms are
not depending on the order of elements in feature, or other similar
pitfalls.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: Unified config.xml

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
Ugh, this is getting out of hand.
If a plugin wants to support both wp7 + wp8 then the developer can repeat
the 4-5 lines of plugin.xml
Let's move on.

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Re: Unified config.xml

Posted by Benn Mapes <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: Unified config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
--
Gorkem

On Friday, May 17, 2013, Jesse MacFadyen wrote:

> Hi Gorkem,
>
> Since your question I have given this some thought. For the most part
> wp7+8 are the same codebase, with just a few 'critical' differences. A
> project for windows phone is either 7 or 8, so we could get away
> without differentiating. That said, it is simple enough to keep them
> separate so for absolute clarity, I think we should. This will
> simplify the use-case where a plugin works for 8, but not 7.
> Presumably we will see more and more of these.
>
> Cheers,
>   Jesse
>
> Sent from my iPhone5
>
> On 2013-05-16, at 6:33 PM, Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.ercan@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> Without knowing much about wp plugins, would there be necessity to
> differentiate  between wp7 and wp8? So that param name would be for
> wp7-package for wp7.
> --
> Gorkem
>
> On Thursday, May 16, 2013, Jesse wrote:
>
> > Should we be aiming to ship 2.8.0 with a unified version of config.xml in
> > the template, and the project created by the CLI? In adding the feature
> tag
> > support to WP7, I have been using a config.xml that has elements like
> this:
> >
> >    <feature name="Device">
> >        <param name="android-package" value="org.apache.cordova.Device"/>
> >        <param name="ios-package" value="CDVDevice"/>
> >        <param name="wp-package" value="Device"/>
> >    </feature>
> >

> > I think it would be at least worthwhile to make sure other platforms are
> > not depending on the order of elements in feature, or other similar
> > pitfalls.
> >
> > @purplecabbage
> > risingj.com

> Gorkem

Gorkem

Re: Unified config.xml

On 2013-05-16, at 6:33 PM, Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com> wrote:

Without knowing much about wp plugins, would there be necessity to
differentiate  between wp7 and wp8? So that param name would be for
wp7-package for wp7.
--
Gorkem

On Thursday, May 16, 2013, Jesse wrote:

> Should we be aiming to ship 2.8.0 with a unified version of config.xml in
> the template, and the project created by the CLI? In adding the feature tag
> support to WP7, I have been using a config.xml that has elements like this:
>
>    <feature name="Device">
>        <param name="android-package" value="org.apache.cordova.Device"/>
>        <param name="ios-package" value="CDVDevice"/>
>        <param name="wp-package" value="Device"/>
>    </feature>
>

> I think it would be at least worthwhile to make sure other platforms are
> not depending on the order of elements in feature, or other similar
> pitfalls.
>
> @purplecabbage
> risingj.com

Gorkem

Re: Unified config.xml

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
Without knowing much about wp plugins, would there be necessity to
differentiate  between wp7 and wp8? So that param name would be for
wp7-package for wp7.
--
Gorkem

On Thursday, May 16, 2013, Jesse wrote:

> Should we be aiming to ship 2.8.0 with a unified version of config.xml in
> the template, and the project created by the CLI? In adding the feature tag
> support to WP7, I have been using a config.xml that has elements like this:
>
>     <feature name="Device">
>         <param name="android-package" value="org.apache.cordova.Device"/>
>         <param name="ios-package" value="CDVDevice"/>
>         <param name="wp-package" value="Device"/>
>     </feature>
>

> I think it would be at least worthwhile to make sure other platforms are
> not depending on the order of elements in feature, or other similar
> pitfalls.
>
> @purplecabbage
> risingj.com

Gorkem