Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2008/06/04 05:28:09 UTC

UIMA-AS 5D002 certification task

Ken -

Background:  UIMA-AS makes use of Apache ActiveMQ.  It recently came to
our attention that Apache ActiveMQ is classified for export under the
5D002 regulation.  Because of this, UIMA-AS, which uses ActiveMQ and
plans to distribute it with the UIMA-AS release (not yet done, but
soon...) needs to be also classified as 5D002.  See this thread for
discussion about this requirement:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=apache%20legal-discuss%20jean%20anderson#query:apache%20legal-discuss%20jean%20anderson+page:1+mid:snluth3ikwpd7ztn+state:results

Can you arrange to update the official Apache list of projects classifed
as 5D002, for UIMA-AS?   I do not have karma to do this.  There are
detailed instructions for how to update this here:
http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#sources

The information you need is as follows:

Go to the section for the incubator.apache.org projects.  The source
there will look like:

 <Project href="http://incubator.apache.org/">
  <Name>Apache Incubator Project</Name>
  <Contact><Name>Noel J. Bergman</Name></Contact>

  <Product> ... </Product>
  <Product> ... </Product>
  <Product> ... </Product>
 </Project>

Add a new "Product":

  <Product>
    <Name>Apache UIMA-AS</Name>
    <Version>
      <Names>development</Names>
      <ECCN>5D002</ECCN>
      <ControlledSource
href="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/sandbox/trunk/uima-as">
        <Manufacturer>ASF</Manufacturer>
        <Why>Designed for use with Apache ActiveMQ, and UIMA-AS includes
Apache ActiveMQ in its distribution</Why>
      </ControlledSource>
    </Version>
    <Version>
      <Names>all releases starting with 2.2.2-incubating</Names>
      <ECCN>5D002</ECCN>
      <ControlledSource
href="http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/uima/source/uima-as/">
        <Manufacturer>ASF</Manufacturer>
        <Why>Designed for use with Apache ActiveMQ, and UIMA-AS includes
Apache ActiveMQ in its distribution</Why>
      </ControlledSource>
    </Version>
  </Product>

Note that the directory on people for distribution of uima-as doesn't
yet exist...

After updating this, can you do the email to BIS by following the
instructions here: http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#notify

We'll take care of updating our license per
http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html#inform

-Marshall