Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Wayne Elliott <wp...@iinet.net.au> on 2002/04/22 14:29:04 UTC

Fopping and batch printing

Howdy

Anyone know of the best way to batch FOP generated PDF
documents for printing. In our scenario documents are
queued for generation, followed by printing, using threads.

We print from both a Windows 2000 GUI application and
Unix server, by spawning a shell command through
Runtime.exec. The commands we use are along the lines
of (I'm not at work

Win/Dos:

  "c:/Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat 5.0/Reader/AcroRd32.exe " +
  "/t " +
  file + " " +
  printerName + " " +
  driverName + " " +
  portName

Unix: cat blah.pdf | acroread -toPostScript | lpr

The trouble we are having is tracking the print job and knowing
when to kill it. In the Dos version we can't get no exit status.
In fact we currently count to 10 then kill the process.

I think using Acrobat Reader to launch a print job is loony tunes,
but am struggling to find a better way. Does anyone know of a better
way, either to better control the shell command, or to fire PDF at
a printer from Java.

Also seeing some corruptiion of the margins in the Unix case. Any
Unix gurus know if lpr or acroread need some flags to shrink the
margin or set the page size. So many variables...

Prob this is all slightly off topic. Not sure. Seems printing is a
reasonable thing to do with a PDF so maybe we have all floundered
a bit in this area.

WPE
When not Fopping, can be found floundering with style.

Re: Fopping and batch printing

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
(comments inline)

On 22.04.2002 14:29:04 Wayne Elliott wrote:
> Howdy
>
> Anyone know of the best way to batch FOP generated PDF
> documents for printing. In our scenario documents are
> queued for generation, followed by printing, using threads.
>
> We print from both a Windows 2000 GUI application and
> Unix server, by spawning a shell command through
> Runtime.exec. The commands we use are along the lines
> of (I'm not at work
>
> Win/Dos:
>
>   "c:/Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat 5.0/Reader/AcroRd32.exe " +
>   "/t " +
>   file + " " +
>   printerName + " " +
>   driverName + " " +
>   portName
>
> Unix: cat blah.pdf | acroread -toPostScript | lpr
>
> The trouble we are having is tracking the print job and knowing
> when to kill it. In the Dos version we can't get no exit status.
> In fact we currently count to 10 then kill the process.

> I think using Acrobat Reader to launch a print job is loony tunes,
> but am struggling to find a better way. Does anyone know of a better
> way, either to better control the shell command, or to fire PDF at
> a printer from Java.

I gave up using Acrobat Reader on Windows except for displaying a PDF in
a browser. I'd do all the printing via unix if that's possible.

You might also get happy using GhostScript.

Yet another possibility might be to use the AWT printing functionality
of FOP. I don't use it but others do and it seems to work well.

> Also seeing some corruptiion of the margins in the Unix case. Any
> Unix gurus know if lpr or acroread need some flags to shrink the
> margin or set the page size. So many variables...

I had that, too. You have to explicitly specify the page size using one of
those command line options.

> Prob this is all slightly off topic. Not sure. Seems printing is a
> reasonable thing to do with a PDF so maybe we have all floundered
> a bit in this area.
>
> WPE
> When not Fopping, can be found floundering with style.

Cheers,
Jeremias Maerki

RE: Fopping and batch printing

Posted by Philippe Pithon <pp...@sigal.fr>.
I have the same problem.
Did you find a solution ?

Otherwise, I made attempts with ghostscript 7.04 but there are the other
problems... The landscape does not work