Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/06/23 20:29:34 UTC

DBCP -- any interest?

Guys,

Serge Knystautas has started working on DBCP for James.  The first work on
it is to wrap it inside of an Avalon DataSource.  So far there have been
some issues found with DBCP, so he and I are volunteering to help work on
that code.

Anyone interested in helping?

Also, I expect that we would put the finished Avalon code over here.  Right?

	--- Noel

Re: DBCP -- any interest?

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Noel!

NJB> Serge Knystautas has started working on DBCP for James.
NJB> The first work on it is to wrap it inside of an Avalon
NJB> DataSource. So far there have been some issues found
NJB> with DBCP, so he and I are volunteering to help work on
NJB> that code.

NJB> Anyone interested in helping?

err.. being a little off topic..

I'm not well aware of the subject, but just in general
is there much gain in trying to reduce the number of
threads running? AFAIU each DBCP creates a thread or
two to maintain the size of its pool and alike.

Is there much sense in having only one service thread
that handles all the pools in our, say Fortress Container
(smth similar to CommandManager)?

Or it is just wasting efforts and its acceptable to have
a number of sleeping threads?

-Anton

CascadingConfiguration as the first configuration

Posted by hammett <ho...@cimcorp.com.br>.
Cheers!

I'm trying to use the CascadingConfiguration as the first configuration
available to my fortress container but it's not working.

The code:

  final FortressConfig config = new FortressConfig();
  config.setContainerClass(PolyethyleneContainer.class);
  config.setContainerConfiguration(buildContainerConfiguration());

<...>

 Configuration buildContainerConfiguration() throws Exception
 {
  DefaultConfigurationBuilder configbuilder = new
DefaultConfigurationBuilder();

  Configuration parent = configbuilder.build(containerConfiguration);

  if (overrideConfiguration == null)
  {
   return parent;
  }
  else
  {
   Configuration base = configbuilder.build(overrideConfiguration);

   CascadingConfiguration containerConfig = new CascadingConfiguration(base,
parent);

   return containerConfig;
  }
 }

I'm aware of the fact that the build method expects a stream or a real
filename, but I don't have it at this time. I only have a URI/Source...

I could transform this uri in a real Source and fetch the stream, but the
container is not constructed yet so I don't have a SourceResolver in hands
and I won't like to create one just for it.

Any ideas?

Best regards

hammett
Meet Polyethylene at http://polyethy.sourceforge.net/