Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2008/03/24 12:38:29 UTC

Re: [build][classlib] mac os x/x86 missing make file

On 23 March 2008 at 22:42, "Nathan Beyer" <nd...@apache.org> wrote:
> I made some changes to get this going a bit -
>
> I've also begun a wiki page here -
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/DevConfiguration_Mac_OS_X_(Leopard)
>
> I'm stuck again with some failures that I'm not clear about, so if any
> experts are watching, please take a look at this snippet of my build
> log.
>
> -build-native-thread:
>      [echo] Making "" in
> /Users/nathan/harmony/working_classlib/modules/portlib/src/main/native/thread
> /unix
>      [exec] as   -o x86/thrhelp.o x86/thrhelp.s
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:37:Unknown pseudo-op: .type
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:37:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
> valued 104 (h).
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:39:Unknown pseudo-op: .type
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:39:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
> valued 99 (c).
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:41:Unknown pseudo-op: .type
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:41:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
> valued 104 (h).
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:70:Unknown pseudo-op: .size
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:70:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
> valued 99 (c).
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:95:Unknown pseudo-op: .size
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:95:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
> valued 104 (h).
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:120:Unknown pseudo-op: .size
>      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:120:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
> valued 104 (h).
>      [exec] make: *** [x86/thrhelp.o] Error 1

The problem is that there are two files for hythr that are written for the
GNU assembler... clearly os/x is using a non-compatible assembler so either
the assembler should be converted for os/x or a version of GNU binutils/as
should be used instead of the default assembler.

To complicate matters, this hythr code wont actually be used by the federated
build only the drlvm version will be used so you could find a way to force the
build to proceed without building this code and worry about the similar
problems you might find with the drlvm code.

We really should get the federated build/drlvm using hy.no.thr mode where the
VM provides the thread library rather than portlib/classlib.

-Mark.

Re: [build][classlib] mac os x/x86 missing make file

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Mark Hindess
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>  On 23 March 2008 at 22:42, "Nathan Beyer" <nd...@apache.org> wrote:
>  > I made some changes to get this going a bit -
>  > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=640300
>  >
>  > I've also begun a wiki page here -
>  > http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/DevConfiguration_Mac_OS_X_(Leopard)
>  >
>  > I'm stuck again with some failures that I'm not clear about, so if any
>  > experts are watching, please take a look at this snippet of my build
>  > log.
>  >

> > -build-native-thread:
>  >      [echo] Making "" in
>  > /Users/nathan/harmony/working_classlib/modules/portlib/src/main/native/thread
>  > /unix
>  >      [exec] as   -o x86/thrhelp.o x86/thrhelp.s
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:37:Unknown pseudo-op: .type
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:37:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
>  > valued 104 (h).
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:39:Unknown pseudo-op: .type
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:39:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
>  > valued 99 (c).
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:41:Unknown pseudo-op: .type
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:41:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
>  > valued 104 (h).
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:70:Unknown pseudo-op: .size
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:70:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
>  > valued 99 (c).
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:95:Unknown pseudo-op: .size
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:95:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
>  > valued 104 (h).
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:120:Unknown pseudo-op: .size
>  >      [exec] x86/thrhelp.s:120:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character
>  > valued 104 (h).
>  >      [exec] make: *** [x86/thrhelp.o] Error 1
>

>  The problem is that there are two files for hythr that are written for the
>  GNU assembler... clearly os/x is using a non-compatible assembler so either
>  the assembler should be converted for os/x or a version of GNU binutils/as
>  should be used instead of the default assembler.

When I run 'as -version' from the console, this is what I get, if
that's of interest.

Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-667.3~21, GNU assembler version 1.38

If I were to consider the path of building a hythr for OS X, what
files would I be looking at?