Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org> on 2019/10/27 19:13:44 UTC

GET INVOLVED: Call for Mentors & Tasks for the 2019 Google Code-In Program

Hello Mifos and Apache Fineract communities,

The Google Code-In Program will be taking place again for the 10th
consecutive year.

This is Google's program to help introduce pre-university students to open
source where students compete to complete as many bite-sized tasks (3 to 5
hours) as possible across the following buckets: Code,
Documentation/Training, Outreach/Research, Quality Assurance, or User
Interface.

Please click the links below if you're not familiar with the program. The
program is once again running during its usual time frame from Dec 2 to
January 23.

The Mifos Initiative is applying and aiming to participate for our fifth
time in the program, having done so in 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018 through
DIAL as our umbrella organization.

As a reminder, this is a very intensive, hands-on program that requires
frequent interaction with the students/ As James noted last year, we fully
rely on the active leadership and involvement of members of the community
to successfully participate.

We strive to be involved with GCI not only for the benefit of education and
outreach around OS to pre-university students but it plants the seeds of
future contributors to the organization, yields countless valuable
contributions not just in terms of code but research, marketing, testing,
and design, and also is a great next step for deepening the involvement of
our past GSOC participants in the community.

For all of the partners across our ecosystem, listing out tasks for GCI and
helping to mentor them can be a great first step towards more active
involvement with the community, you can also get a lot of great market
research and other nice to have tasks completed by diligent and dedicated
students.

If interested in mentoring, please fill out this form here:

*https://forms.gle/aXVNCndoLXVBJexe9 <https://forms.gle/aXVNCndoLXVBJexe9>*

You can also begin listing tasks at https://bit.ly/31OMBib or creating
issues in the respective github repositories, being sure to tag issues with
the label, "GCI 2019"

If Mifos is selected, Rahul and Sanyam Goel will be taking the lead as org
admins this year with my support. Chirag Gupta will continue to serve as
our super-mentor, helping to interact with students only a past GCI grand
prize winner could.

We will have a community-wide meeting if selected to discuss task creation
for which we'll have 5 weeks to get several hundred tasks created!

Please read our wrap-up post from 2017,
http://mifos.org/blog/2017-google-code-in-wrap-up/ to learn abbout what GCI
is like.

Cheers,

Ed

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ed,
just signed. Are you the lead? I will be at the kick-off.
Thanks.
Giorgio.

Life is a chess game - Anonymous.

Re: GET INVOLVED: Call for Mentors & Tasks for the 2019 Google Code-In Program

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Thanks Giorgio.

If accepted, we'll be in touch about how to get involved.

Ed

Posted by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello,