Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2016/10/01 02:28:54 UTC

Re: Update copyright notice of docs distributed with the project

First I've seen of that approach.

Anything you can cite Manfred?

Posted by Edward Ribeiro <ed...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everybody for the insightful suggestions and links. It helped a lot.

Cheers,
Eddie

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
It does not matter if the file still says 2012. If you end up in a court of
law, they're going to ignore whatever was placed into the file, and look at
the evidence of creation/changes/etc.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Thanks Roy,

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Or even drop the year.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
I'd think we'd want to protect docs in a zip and on a site equally. How we
represent that protection may vary.

Apologies if that was your point.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com> wrote:
> Sorry ... I can just tell you that the development team at a client of mine
> was advised by their corporate lawyer to change all copyright notices that
> way to reduce churn and keep it up to date. You might have to get
> confirmation from some lawyer helping the ASF if you need something more in
> detail.

Here's an elephant in the room: strictly speaking copyright springs into
existence the moment you create the work (it may be yours or your
employer's but the principle still applies). You really only need copyright
if you're about to sue somebody. Then having it as clear as it can possibly
be displayed help prove that there was, indeed, an infringement perpetrated.
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/copyright-registration-notice-enforcement-faq-29067.html
and
    http://www.copyright.gov
are your friends if you want to find out more.

Ultimately -- it is up to you, as a creator to decide what level of proof you
feel comfortable with.

However, since when you contribute to ASF projects you license your
code to the Foundation, the Foundation feels that this:
   http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#simple
is the minimum amount of protection it needs.

Thanks,
Roman.