Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2012/10/11 23:10:25 UTC

Next releases

Hi,

I am investigating the components that should go for a release in the
near future. We should try to bring as much components to a 1.0 status
as possible. After graduation it would be a good sign to start and
establish a release cycle.

My first release candidate would be the Enhancer with all Enhancement
Engines. So I will check the Enhancer and engines if all requirements
for a release are met (license, POMs, etc).

What about other components? Please, make suggestions as I do not have
a detailed overview of the status of all the code parts and branches.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Next releases

Posted by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it>.
Hi Fabian,

the ontology manager could use a release, there are many new features
since 0.9.0-incubating.

plus, there's the OntoNet API renaming issue underway, so perhaps this
could be an intermediate release with both APIs for some backwards
compatibility, and then a further release will phase out the deprecated API.

note however that it requires an updated commons.owl too, but it's even
better to have it with the OWL API from Maven-central (waiting for a
compatible OWL 2 reasoner [1]). Also the reasoners.web bundle should be
re-released.

Do we make releases for specific commons at all?

I think November would be good for submitting RC's. Right now I'm busy
writing my thesis, then I plan to finalize the API renaming and add a
few more unit/integration tests so I can check some details in the
improved features and close their tickets.

Alessandro

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAD2jOMN2YegVbJTchud-U4YQCzbyo%2B%3DJhciO7sYD%2Btg0U5A3Yg%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=owlapi-developer

--
M.Sc. Alessandro Adamou

Department of Computer Science
Mura Anteo Zamboni 7, 40127 Bologna - Italy

Semantic Technology Laboratory (STLab)
Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology (ISTC)
National Research Council (CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161 Rome - Italy

"I will give you everything, just don't demand anything."
(Ettore Petrolini, 1917)

Not sent from my iSnobTechDevice

Re: Next releases

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
2012/10/16 Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question on the release policy.
>
> The criterion for releasing a standalone module is that it has to be working
> on the latest launcher released (the 0.9.0-incubating one iirc)? Or can we
> assume it to be working on a compiled launcher from a certain more recent
> trunk revision?

Releasing components and launcher configurations are two separate
things. We should aim for releasing a stable launcher configuration
that only includes released components. That is the plan for the
stable launcher. This launcher is supposed to use only released
components. At the moment we are missing correct releases of
bundlelist that would enable us to create such a stable launcher.

At the moment it is just fine if everything is working in the SNAPSHOT
full launcher. We do not have any other criteria, yet.

> If so should/can we release up-to-date dependencies along with the module
> itself or call for separate releases?

When releasing a component all of its SNAPSHOT dependencies have to be
released. If your component has dependencies e.g. to commons
components, then those need to be released as well.

We can call a vote for a component release that includes releases of
commons components.

I would just like to separate releases of the main components, i.e.
entityhub, contenthub, enhancer, ontologymanager.

Best,
 - Fabian

Re: Next releases

Posted by Alessandro Adamou <ad...@cs.unibo.it>.
Hi,

I have a question on the release policy.

The criterion for releasing a standalone module is that it has to be
working on the latest launcher released (the 0.9.0-incubating one iirc)?
Or can we assume it to be working on a compiled launcher from a certain
more recent trunk revision?

If so should/can we release up-to-date dependencies along with the
module itself or call for separate releases?

Thanks

Alessandro

Re: Next releases

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM, ajs6f@virginia.edu <aj...@virginia.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for that detailed answer. Don't worry, I understand that the notion of yard is specific to the EntityHub-- I was just using it as an analogy.

The current Entityhub Yard implementations will be used as backend for
SemanticIndex implementations with the new System. In fact very
similar as the Yard interface is already used by the Entityhub
Indexing Tool - as an indexing destination.

> I have one other question about this specific effort: in IndexingSource I find the important method:
>
> Item get(String uri) throws StoreException
>
> so it seems that this interface is meant to be used synchronously in direct operation, when get() doesn't block for any long time waiting for a large datum to transit or for slow storage to produce results. In order to use this gear in these cases, would it be necessary to rewrite the upper-level component "Content Create/Update"? Or could one expect to create a kind of queuing component and wire it between "Content Create/Update" and "Content Item Storage", maintaining synchronous behavior in the upper level of architecture?

That is true. The intended usage of the interfaces of the
semanticindexing module is synchronous. If necessary the semantic
indexing process as a whole can be implemented to be asynchronously
(e.g. use a queue that is processed by multiple worker threads).

As mentioned in my other mail, the first release of the
semanticindexing module together with the Contenthub will most likely
not include a general implementation of the indexing process, but I
plan to implement such a component as part of the adaption of the
Entityhub to the new system. As the Entityhub Indexing Tool already
uses a multi threaded producer/consumer based indexing pipeline I
might likely start from their.

Note the description of the "indexing process" is included in my mail
about the "Stanbol Semantic Indexing" module.

best
Rupert

Re: Next releases

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
Thanks for that detailed answer. Don't worry, I understand that the notion of yard is specific to the EntityHub-- I was just using it as an analogy.

I do have a further question about general architecture: there exists currently a CMSAdaptor service that aims to map content repositories and semantic stores into each other. Is there an intention of cohering the abstractions for content storage and semantic storage between these two efforts (ContentHub and CMSAdaptor)? I realize that the intentions of each are distinct, but it seems that much of the underlying machinery might be reusable, and it might help integrators (like me {grin}) if they both could be addressed with a minimum of "glue", in cases where the semantic store is suitable for both indexing and ontology storage. If it's not obvious, I'd like to imagine a design in which a content repository is both indexed and typed by Stanbol services into the same semantic storage.

I have one other question about this specific effort: in IndexingSource I find the important method:

Item get(String uri) throws StoreException

so it seems that this interface is meant to be used synchronously in direct operation, when get() doesn't block for any long time waiting for a large datum to transit or for slow storage to produce results. In order to use this gear in these cases, would it be necessary to rewrite the upper-level component "Content Create/Update"? Or could one expect to create a kind of queuing component and wire it between "Content Create/Update" and "Content Item Storage", maintaining synchronous behavior in the upper level of architecture?

---
A. Soroka
Software & Systems Engineering :: Online Library Environment
the University of Virginia Library

Re: Next releases

Posted by Suat Gonul <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Next releases

Posted by Stéphane Gamard <st...@searchbox.com>.
Excellent and thank you, I was stuck on a thing device all day :).

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Next releases

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Re: Next releases