Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org> on 2022/08/24 15:24:19 UTC

[VOTE] Format: Rules and procedures for Canonical extension types

Hello,

I would like to propose we vote for the following set of rules for
registering well-known ("canonical") extension types.

* Canonical extension types are described and maintained in a separate
document under the format specifications directory:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/docs/source/format (note
this gets turned into HTML docs by Sphinx =>
https://arrow.apache.org/docs/index.html)

* Each canonical extension type requires a separate discussion and vote
on the mailing-list

* The specification text to be added *must* follow these requirements

   1) It *must* have a well-defined name starting with "org.apache.arrow."
   2) Its parameters, if any, *must* be described in the proposal
   3) Its serialization *must* be described in the proposal and should
not require unduly work or unusual software dependencies (for example, a
trivial custom text format or JSON would be acceptable)
   4) Its expected semantics *should* be described as well and any
potential ambiguities or pain points addressed or at least mentioned

* The extension type *should* have one implementation submitted;
preferably two if non-trivial (for example if parameterized)

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Accept this proposal
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not accept this proposal because...

Regards

Antoine.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Format: Rules and procedures for Canonical extension types

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
The PR was submitted and merged here:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/14167

We can now start discussing specific canonical types!

Regards

Antoine.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Hello,

Re: [VOTE] Format: Rules and procedures for Canonical extension types

Posted by Rok Mihevc <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) and preference for the "arrow." namespace.

Rok

Re: [VOTE] Format: Rules and procedures for Canonical extension types

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
+1 with "arrow." prefix because we already use "ARROW:" not
"ORG.APACHE.ARROW:" for reserved metadata name prefix.

https://arrow.apache.org/docs/format/Columnar.html#custom-application-metadata

> The ARROW pattern is a reserved namespace for internal
> Arrow use in the custom_metadata fields. For example,
> ARROW:extension:name.

kou

In <33...@python.org>

Posted by Jorge Cardoso Leitão <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Really well written, thanks for driving this!

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.
Le 25/08/2022 à 02:08, Weston Pace a écrit :
> +1 (non-binding).  This is maybe implied but I would add that
> modification of extension types must also require a vote and should be
> backwards compatible.  Furthermore, extension types (particularly
> those with extensive parameterization/serialization should discuss how
> future additions would be made.  For example, if serialized via JSON
> than readers should tolerate (and ignore) unexpected keys.

That's a good point, and I agree those additions would make sense.

As for "arrow" vs. "org.apache.arrow", that's fine with me. I'm not sure
a new vote needs to be re-cast with that sole modification.

Regards

Antoine.

Posted by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Micah Kornfield <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pradeep Gollakota <pg...@google.com.INVALID>.

--
Pradeep

Re: [VOTE] Format: Rules and procedures for Canonical extension types

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)