Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2004/03/04 21:30:27 UTC

All committers are equal. Period.

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Sorry, but you manage to make me pretty upset...

I'm sure that was not his intention.

take a deep breath or two, a beer, and take the rest of the day off,
dude (both of you, probably :-D).

> You want me to count there?

no.

> How do you want to rate "contribution" ? Please put a number on it !

please don't!

It is not possible. It is hurtful to a community. It doesn't help anyone
or anything in any way at all.

Here's a few examples you can't put a number on:

* Greg Stein has never committed a single thing inside avalon's CVS. But
it is safe to say that the avalon that is today would not exist without
his efforts.

* Nicola Ken has never contributed much code to avalon during his period
here. But it is safe to say that the avalon that is today would not
exist without his efforts.

* I likely outnumbered commits from everyone else for the first half of
2003, because I wiped all java sources clean in CVS during a license
header update and had to fix it all.

Yes, we have a meritocracy. But we don't do layering. There's no "all
committers are equal, but some are more equal than others". All
committers are equal, and that's it. Someone who has deserved the
"committer" status gets an *equal* say on *everything*.

This is /vital/ guys. You are a committer, therefore your opinion
counts. The same goes for the opinion of all other committers. In fact,
all opinions from sensible people count more than does their "merit" (in
whatever way you would want to define that), since much more important
than merit is consensus and collaboration.

End of story.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons