Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by br...@us.ibm.com on 2001/12/13 20:12:25 UTC

Eclipse IDE

I have been evaluating the new Eclipse IDE (http://www.eclipse.org) and
trying to get it to debug my servlets running in Tomcat. One of the quirks
about the Eclipse IDE is that it doesn't allow me to specify a build folder
outside of the project hierarchy (so I can't post my classes to the webapps
folder in Tomcat). One of the suggestions from Eclipse users was to develop
my source directly in the webapps folder, but this violates the separation
of source and deployment
(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/appdev/source.html).

I was wondering if anyone has experience integrating Eclipse with Tomcat
and what directory structure they're using.

Thanks.

- Brian

Re: Eclipse IDE (Off Subject)

Posted by "John M. Corro" <jo...@cornerstone.net>.
Off subject...what do you think of the new IDE?

AW: Eclipse IDE

Posted by Jakob Lemler <Ja...@t-online.de>.
Hello Brian,

1. Read the App Developer Guide in the Tomcat Docs.
2. Install Ant-1.4.1
3. Create your development directory structure in Eclipse.
4. Take the sample build.xml file from Tomcat and customize your Tomcat
Home Directory there.
5. Make sure that Ant runs successfully from the commandline.
6. Run Ant from the context menu of your project in Eclipse and select
"deploy"...

Result: Ready deployed in your Tomcat webapp folder...

7. Restart Tomcat, Ready to rumble... ;-)

Bye
	Jakob

Re: Eclipse IDE

Posted by Dom <do...@free.fr>.
I'm using WSAD beta too for the last 2 or 3 months developping web apps for
Tomcat 4

You don't have to care where it puts your class files, as it deploys them
automaticaly in your TOMCAT_HOME webapps directory !

Dom

AW: Eclipse IDE

Posted by Reto Badertscher <rb...@i-netsystems.com>.
Hello,