Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mayuran Yogarajah <ma...@casalemedia.com> on 2009/08/11 20:09:07 UTC

NN + secondary got full, even though data nodes had plenty of space

I have a 6 node cluster running Hadoop 0.18.3.  I'm trying to figure out
how the data was spread out like this:

node001         94.15%
node002         94.16%
node003         48.22%
node004         47.85%
node005         48.12%
node006         43.18%

Node 001 (NN) and node 002( secondary NN) both got full, while the other
data nodes had more space left.  I had assumed that Hadoop would distribute
more blocks to nodes 3-6 since they had much more space, but it ended up
filling up nodes1 and 2.  Is this expected?

thanks,

Re: NN + secondary got full, even though data nodes had plenty of space

Posted by Mayuran Yogarajah <ma...@casalemedia.com>.
Todd Lipcon wrote:
> Hi Mayuran,
>
> Do you do all of your uploads of data into your Hadoop cluster from node001
> and node002?
>
> If so, keep in mind that one of your replicas will always be written on
> localhost in the case that it is part of the cluster.
>
> You should consider running the rebalancer to even up your space usage.
>
> -Todd

Actually yes I have been doing this.  I'll try rebalancer, thanks for
your help.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Mayuran,

Posted by Mayuran Yogarajah <ma...@casalemedia.com>.
Amandeep Khurana wrote:
> Is your NN doubling up as a DN? If its not, I wonder how the NN is full...

Yes both NN and secondary are doubling as DN, sorry I should have mentioned
this earlier.

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.