Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Peter Schmiedeskamp <ps...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/08 18:49:33 UTC

[users@httpd] ./configure can't find berkeley db (apache 2.0.50/AIX 5.1)

Hello, I'm attempting to compile httpd-2.0.50 for AIX
5.1.  I'm invoking the configure script as follows:

./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --with-dbm=db42
--with-berkeley-db=/usr/foo/ --enable-ssl
--enable-deflate --prefix=/usr/foo

I've built and successfully installed Berkeley DB 4.2
in the prefix /usr/foo/.

Here is the relevant output from the configure script
(Note this happens in the APR section of the
configure):

checking for Berkeley DB 4.2 in /usr/fs/...
checking db42/db.h usability... no
checking db42/db.h presence... no
checking for db42/db.h... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for -ldb-4.2... no
checking db42/db.h usability... no
checking db42/db.h presence... no
checking for db42/db.h... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for -ldb4... no
checking db42/db.h usability... no
checking db42/db.h presence... no
checking for db42/db.h... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for -ldb... no

It finally tells me that it can't find Berkeley DB.

AIX is seems to be touchy about where shared libraries
are located.  I've tried setting the $LIBPATH variable
as per http://bhami.com/rosetta.html and
http://fortran-2000.com/ArnaudRecipes/sharedlib.html.
However, I'm convinced that this $LIBPATH variable is
a sham and never really worked anyway. :-)

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Thanks!

-Peter

Re: [users@httpd] ./configure can't find berkeley db (apache 2.0.50/AIX 5.1)

Posted by Outbound <ou...@centrum.cz>.
Hello,

have you tried this?

./configure --enable-dav --enable-so --with-dbm=db42
--with-berkeley-db=/usr/foo --enable-ssl
--enable-deflate --prefix=/usr/foo

Just without trailing / ;-)

Roman

Posted by Peter Schmiedeskamp <ps...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, Gary.  Thanks for the tips.  I was hoping to build
with xlc, but that sounds like it may be a pipe dream.
 I haven't played with AIX 5.2, but it sounds like
they are moving in the right direction if they are
including libtool, autoconf, automake, and presumably
other GNU tools in their distribution.   They aren't
as ludicrously old as the stuff they've been including
in their "Linux Toolbox," are they?

I'll putter some more with xlc and company, but I fear
you may be right that gcc et al may ultimately be
needed.  Nothing in life is easy--unless you are using
AIX in which case it's excruciating :-)

My next step will be to try installing berkeley db to
/usr/lib (as far as I can tell /usr/lib is the only
blessed library path in AIX.  Even /lib is a symlink
to /usr/lib!  Yikes!).  If this works, I'll be sure to
report back.

Thanks again.  I'm enheartened to know that this is
possible now.

-Peter

Posted by Ca...@lawson.com.