Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Parand T. Darugar" <td...@velocigen.com> on 2000/09/08 23:21:14 UTC

Re: xerces-perl working with CVS

Hello all,

> I just downloaded Harmon's code of Tony's (Parand's) site at
> velocigen. I had a few stumbles upgrading it to the new 1.3 code I
> grabbed out of the Apache CVS tree, but it's working!!! Good work
> Harmon.

  Aha! This is beginning to get moving. I did some very informal
benchmarks against XML::DOM ; Xerces looks to be about 8-10 times
faster in pure parsing, but the traversal test I ran came out
exactly the same for Xerces and DOM, making me suspect that
my test was bad. I haven't had a chance to look at it again.

  Ok, hopefully this is not premature, but now that the package
is working, how do we feel about a common interface between XML::DOM
and Xerces-perl (and even XML::XPATH for that matter) so that converting
existing code from XML::DOM to Xerces is a bit easier? I know DOM
is supposed to be that interface, but if you try to convert scripts
you quickly see that there's some re-coding needed.

  Finally, is there XQL support in Xerces?

Best,

Parand Tony Darugar			tdarugar@velocigen.com
858-622-1164				Leading the Web Services Revolution
858-622-0303 fax			VelociGenX Server
http://www.velocigen.com/

Re: xerces-perl working with CVS

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@cs.unm.edu>.
"Parand T. Darugar" <td...@velocigen.com> writes:

>   Ok, hopefully this is not premature, but now that the package
> is working, how do we feel about a common interface between XML::DOM
> and Xerces-perl (and even XML::XPATH for that matter) so that converting
> existing code from XML::DOM to Xerces is a bit easier? I know DOM
> is supposed to be that interface, but if you try to convert scripts
> you quickly see that there's some re-coding needed.

Hmm... I hadn't realized that the interfaces were different...

That is a bit of a bummer. There is a namespace issue, of course. If
XML::DOM has that namespace than Xerces can't very well grab it
to. But then there is the issue that xercex uses DOMStrings for
everything.

OK. Before we go too much further, I think that we should really talk
interface for a while.

<sleepy-aside>
I was going to type more, but I just spent hours getting all the
software I needed for doxygen, just so I could print out the API
docs. Pretty slick automated system, but I didn't think it would take
me so long.
</sleepy-aside>

I once wrapped a big C++ project in perl (by hand, hadn't discovered
SWIG then), It was often wrong to just perl'ize the C++ API. It really
should feel like you're programming in perl, otherwise what's the
point?

jas.