Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2015/01/27 16:23:57 UTC

Office 2013 and Office 365 interop (was RE: Installing Apache Open Office)

Alan, Cheryl subscribes to Office 365 Personal.  Please make sure you have selected the "For home" tab and are looking at the list "Office 365 Personal includes:" and the first row, "Full installed Office applications" and check the PC list under "Work across multiple devices."

Cheryl is not an online-only subscriber.  She has Office 2013 on the desktop as part of her Office 365 Personal subscription, and it is part of the package.

For personal, home, and small-business (and premium, but not essentials) use, the various bundles all provide whatever full apps are available for the platform being used (Windows, Mac, various devices).  "Essentials" and the bundles for enterprises of various sizes are not something I expect to address here, since they are simply not considerations for compatibility with AOO although you can upload ODF files to OneDrive and try your luck on them with Office Web Apps.  I've done that.

I use Office 2013 on Windows 8.1 and I edit and save Office 97-XP versions of .doc, .xsl, and .ppt all of the time.  I don't know why your experience would be different.  I have a Microsoft Office 365 Small Business Premium, which was the smallest with-desktop version I could get at the time.  When my renewal comes up I will forego the Exchange and Sharepoint services and drop down to the recently-added Microsoft Office 365 Small Business.  I would like to have Access for testing against OpenOffice Base, so I might have to reconsider.  If Access is no longer available to Business Premium, then it is an easy decision.  We'll see.

Are you using an Academic edition or some other special release?  Or are we confusing the Web Apps with the desktop Office 2013 apps on Windows (what Cheryl has).

In any case, we're wandering far from the circumstances that Cheryl has described and is concerned about.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Alan,

You're correct though. My attention was simply not on the versions of Office 365 that do not include desktop and full-function device software.  I easily forget that there are other plans.

 - Dennis

> Subscribers to Office 365 that use Windows have the full Microsoft Office
> 2013 suite available for download to their

Dennis - as I understand it the download is available for two of the three
Office 365 subscriptions, the two more costly subscriptions of course. The
first row of the comparison is "Full installed Office applications..." and
the first column, "Office 365 Business Essentials" doesn't have a check in
that row.

https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans?CR_CC=200061904&WT.srch=1

computers.  See <http://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-personal>.
> Beside the big 3, Cheryl has OneNote (free anyhow), Outlook, Publisher, and
> Access.  She can save to any formats Office 2013 supports, including the
> Office 97-2000-XP .doc, .ppt, and .xls formats.  They also save and import
> the Microsoft implementation of ODF 1.2 formats .odt, .odp, and .ods (by
> conversion out of and into the Office programs.

[ ... ]