Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adrian Hoe <ma...@adrianhoe.com> on 2005/06/06 11:08:27 UTC

Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Hi,

I'm testing SVN and plan to transition to SVN from CVS. Before
getting to my main question, can anyone tell me (honestly) why should
I move to SVN while CVS is still commonly use out there in the open
source community? My company just started to use CVS not long ago and
now we find SVN works much better especially the binary files part.
Moving to SVN means we have to use SVN for our internal development
and still retain CVS for development in the open source like
sourceforge and many others.

Now, my main question:

I installed SVN-1.2.0 on my SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro box. I invoke svnserve
via xinetd. I am able to do

        svn co svn+ssh://user@hostname/svn/pro/aaa

I was then asked to enter password for user thrice. I have read the
archive about required to enter password twice.

Why is it so? Is this a bug, or extra security? :-) Is there anyway
to change this?

Second question: I'm using dynamic IP address for the server. SVN
will store the url in .svn folder and when IP address of the server
change, svn will not work because of different server url. Is there a
way to overcome this problem? One way is to manually edit all
the .svn/entries but this can become tedious if there are many nested
folders in the tree.

TIA,

--
"If you missed the rising sun and the morning dew, don't miss the
beautiful sunset." -- Adrian Hoe inspired by Michal Nowak, June 15 2004

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Paul Wayper <pa...@anu.edu.au>.
Adrian Hoe wrote:

> Second question: I'm using dynamic IP address for the server. SVN
> will store the url in .svn folder and when IP address of the server
> change, svn will not work because of different server url. Is there a
> way to overcome this problem? One way is to manually edit all  the
> .svn/entries but this can become tedious if there are many nested
> folders in the tree.

Easy - get a dynamic DNS address through dyndns.org or similar.  Then
use the dynamic DNS address in your URL.  You can get clients to run on
your machine that detect IP address changes and update the dyndns.org
servers, and Smoothwall and other firewalls have them built in.  I use
this and it's been fantastic - I've never had a resolution to an
out-of-date IP address yet.

HTH,

Paul

--
-- Paul Wayper at ANU - +61 2 6125 0643

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Adrian Hoe wrote:
> Now, my main question:
>
> I installed SVN-1.2.0 on my SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro box. I invoke svnserve
> via xinetd. I am able to do
>
>        svn co svn+ssh://user@hostname/svn/pro/aaa
>
> I was then asked to enter password for user thrice. I have read the
> archive about required to enter password twice.
>
> Why is it so? Is this a bug, or extra security? :-) Is there anyway
> to change this?

Can you ssh onto the machine without a password?  If you can't then
subversion can't either.  The following should produce no output.

  ssh user@hostname true

The typical configuration uses ssh with RSA keys and ssh-agent to help
manage them.  Search the web for that and you will find a zillion
HOWTOs and other documentation.

Since that is off-topic for this list I will keep this short.  Make
sure you have an RSA ssh key.  Make sure you have the ssh-agent
running.  Make sure you have loaded the key into the ssh-agent.

Here is a good resource.

  http://www.openssh.com/

Especially:

  http://www.openssh.com/faq.html

Bob

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Brass Tilde <br...@insightbb.com>.
> I'm testing SVN and plan to transition to SVN from CVS. Before
> getting to my main question, can anyone tell me (honestly) why should
> I move to SVN while CVS is still commonly use out there in the open
> source community?

Unless the "everybody's using it" argument has gained some credibility since I used it as a kid ("all my friends are doing it"), I
think you've started to answer your own question:

> My company just started to use CVS not long ago and now we find SVN works
> much better especially the binary files part.

You've found that Subversion works much better.  Does it work *so* much better that it's worth migrating your internal stuff over to
it, while still retaining CVS knowledge and usage for the other projects which you don't control?

> Moving to SVN means we have to use SVN for our internal development
> and still retain CVS for development in the open source like
> sourceforge and many others.

FWIW, SourceForge is planning to implement Subversion, apparently alongside CVS, as an option for a repository there.

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On 2005-06-07 10:02:31 +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Subversion was designed to treat RA (Repository Access) sessions as
> fairly lightweight disposable objects. Some operations genuinely
> need multiple sessions, others happen to close and re-open sessions
> rather than passing around a single long-lived session, just because
> it happened that it was easier to code that way.

But even with ssh-agent, this is slower due to authentication.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Adrian Hoe wrote:
> I installed SVN-1.2.0 on my SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro box. I invoke svnserve
> via xinetd. I am able to do
>
>        svn co svn+ssh://user@hostname/svn/pro/aaa
>
> I was then asked to enter password for user thrice. I have read the
> archive about required to enter password twice.
>
> Why is it so? Is this a bug, or extra security? :-) Is there anyway
> to change this?

Subversion was designed to treat RA (Repository Access) sessions as fairly
lightweight disposable objects. Some operations genuinely need multiple
sessions, others happen to close and re-open sessions rather than passing
around a single long-lived session, just because it happened that it was
easier to code that way.

It doesn't bother most people, because it's only in the case of external
authentication (ssh) using a password, that this actually becomes
user-visible.

Best thing to do is to configure public key authentication and ssh-agent.

Max.

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Ronald Sacher <sa...@manetmail.de>.
Adrian Hoe wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:37:47 +0200, Nicolas Goutte <ni...@snafu.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 06 June 2005 13:08, Adrian Hoe wrote:
>> (...)
>>
>>> Second question: I'm using dynamic IP address for the server. SVN
>>> will store the url in .svn folder and when IP address of the server
>>> change, svn will not work because of different server url. Is there a
>>> way to overcome this problem? One way is to manually edit all
>>> the .svn/entries but this can become tedious if there are many nested
>>> folders in the tree.
>>
>> Better than editing the URLs by hand, you should use
>>
>> svn switch --relocate oldURL newURL
>>
>> to change between server IPs.
>
> Thanks to Nicholas and Cagatay. Your answers are very helpful.

Why don't you pick a hostname via dyndns.org (or no-ip.com) and stick
with this?

Bye,
Ronald

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Adrian Hoe <ma...@adrianhoe.com>.
wrote:

> On Monday 06 June 2005 13:08, Adrian Hoe wrote:
> (...)
>
>> Second question: I'm using dynamic IP address for the server. SVN
>> will store the url in .svn folder and when IP address of the server
>> change, svn will not work because of different server url. Is there a
>> way to overcome this problem? One way is to manually edit all
>> the .svn/entries but this can become tedious if there are many nested
>> folders in the tree.
>
> Better than editing the URLs by hand, you should use
>
> svn switch --relocate oldURL newURL
>
> to change between server IPs.
>

>> TIA,
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> (...)

Thanks to Nicholas and Cagatay. Your answers are very helpful.

How about the triple password I'm getting?

Best regards,
--
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo DaVinci.
"Complexity is simplicity that has failed." - Adrian Hoe, June 23 2004.

Posted by Nicolas Goutte <ni...@snafu.de>.
On Monday 06 June 2005 13:08, Adrian Hoe wrote:
(...)

> Second question: I'm using dynamic IP address for the server. SVN
> will store the url in .svn folder and when IP address of the server
> change, svn will not work because of different server url. Is there a
> way to overcome this problem? One way is to manually edit all
> the .svn/entries but this can become tedious if there are many nested
> folders in the tree.

Better than editing the URLs by hand, you should use

svn switch --relocate oldURL newURL

to change between server IPs.

> TIA,

Have a nice day!

(...)

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by tekHedd <te...@byteheaven.net>.
Adrian Hoe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing SVN and plan to transition to SVN from CVS. Before getting
> to my main question, can anyone tell me (honestly) why should I move to
> SVN while CVS is still commonly use out there in the open source
> community? My company just started to use CVS not long ago and now we

Actually, one particularly compelling reason is that you just started to
use CVS not too long ago. IMO, subversion has reached the maturity level
where there's not much point in starting new projects in CVS any more.
Of course, caveats apply, but you will have relatively few surprises if
you RTM before starting.

Regarding ssh madness, the "proper" solution is to use ssh-agent to
cache your password. ssh-agent can drive you crazy if you use lots of
nested remote logins, but it does work in a mostly secure manner. (If
this isn't in the subversion faq, it should be. I'm pretty sure it's
mentioned in the svn+ssh section f the book, too. Isn't it?)

Personally, I use the "crappy security" approach: I use a ssh
certificate with no password on it. Needless to say, I keep my client
computer pretty well locked down.

Peace,
tom
--
Tom Surace                )                 ,~~v~~,
tekhedd@byteheaven.net    )                ,`.   .`,

Re: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by David Ripton <dr...@ripton.net>.
On 2005.06.06 19:08:27 +0000, Adrian Hoe wrote:
> I'm testing SVN and plan to transition to SVN from CVS. Before
> getting to my main question, can anyone tell me (honestly) why should
> I move to SVN while CVS is still commonly use out there in the open
> source community? My company just started to use CVS not long ago and
> now we find SVN works much better especially the binary files part.
> Moving to SVN means we have to use SVN for our internal development
> and still retain CVS for development in the open source like
> sourceforge and many others.

Many open source projects have switched to svn.  I suspect many more
will switch once SF starts offering it.  But many others will stick with
cvs.  I think you're going to need to have both clients installed,
regardless of which one you use in-house.  And don't forget about darcs,
monotone, git, arch, ...

I guess the cvs near-monopoly (in the open source world) was convenient
in some ways, but it's gone and not coming back.

> I installed SVN-1.2.0 on my SuSE Linux 9.1 Pro box. I invoke svnserve
> via xinetd. I am able to do
>
>        svn co svn+ssh://user@hostname/svn/pro/aaa
>
> I was then asked to enter password for user thrice. I have read the
> archive about required to enter password twice.
>
> Why is it so? Is this a bug, or extra security? :-) Is there anyway
> to change this?

Maybe you have a svn:externals causing an extra auth?

I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about this.  I'd spend the time
setting up ssh-agent instead, and eliminate all the password prompts.
(Except the one at the ssh-add prompt, right after you login.)

> Second question: I'm using dynamic IP address for the server. SVN
> will store the url in .svn folder and when IP address of the server
> change, svn will not work because of different server url. Is there a
> way to overcome this problem? One way is to manually edit all
> the .svn/entries but this can become tedious if there are many nested
> folders in the tree.

Create a dynamic DNS entry for the server.  Update it when the IP
changes.  Have clients always refer to the repository by name, not IP
address.

--
David Ripton    dripton@ripton.net

RE: Triple login required by svn+ssh and dynamic IP address for server

Posted by Cagatay Catal <ca...@bte.mam.gov.tr>.
Hi,

Maybe this document can help you why you may choose SVN rather than CVS or
others.

This document gives you a comparison of different SCM tools including CVS,
SVN.

http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html

Best regards,

Cagatay Catal