Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> on 2007/05/21 11:11:40 UTC

[ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Hi all!

I have currently the problem that I am unable to build the installers of
  ApacheDS 1.5.

I have checked out

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/trunk-with-dependencies

and I am able to perform a "mvn install" on this level.

But if I change directory  to apacheds/server-installers and try "mvn
install" I get this

[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
---
[INFO] Building ApacheDS Server Installers
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
---
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Mon May 21 11:04:03 CEST 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/3M
[INFO]

A "mvn clean" does not help on any level (runs successfully, but error
persists).

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
     Stefan

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
We should never use SNAPSHOT of any external dependency, this is the perfect
way to shooting us in the foot. But for internal project like shared, etc,
we must use SNAPSHOT...

On 5/21/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you guys think that these problems are from having the SNAPSHOT repos
> (regular maven repo and plugin repo) in the maven repo stack?  I am
> basically in the habit of disabling the SNAPSHOT repos in any project I
> build because it does stuff like this.  And yes I always disable the
> SNAPSHOT repo in ApacheDS pom as well  :-)
>
> Its always been in the back of my mind to ask why it is enabled, but I
> figured that it allowed someone to build part of the SVN project without
> building the entire thing or something along those lines.
>
> Chris
>
> On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ahhh the unpredictability of Maven strikes again!
> >
> > Alex

> > > working ...
> > >
> > > Hi Emmanuel,
> > >
> > > I have removed the repo from my machine, rebuilt it all and you are
> > > right: I just came back from lunch and now I have fresh installers.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > >      Stefan

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
David Jencks a écrit :

> Does this really happen even if you have specified the version for
> each plugin in all poms?  Not specifying the plugin version is
> certainly an invitation to disaster :-)

I don't agree, David, it's *not* an invitation to disaster, it's a
direct disaster :) - and we experienced it more than once ... :(

I will just smooth a litte bit the prerequisite : if you use the
PluginManagement and DependencyManagement sections in the top level
poms, then you don't need to declare the versions in all the pom. Btw,
declaring plugins/dependencies in all the poms is also a problem, if you
have, like we have, around 50 pom files : sooner or later, you will use
N versions of the same plugin/dependency, something you want to avoid
like plague ...

Maven is powerfull, but needs a lot of wizdom to be able to avoid all
the traps you can be caught in... (or maybe a better doco? ;)

IMHO, Emmanuel.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Does this really happen even if you have specified the version for
each plugin in all poms?  Not specifying the plugin version is
certainly an invitation to disaster :-)

thanks
david jencks

On May 21, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Chris Custine wrote:

> No, I totally understand.  I just have a bit of a personal thing
> about using the maven snapshot repo for plugins because of the
> general craziness that results once in a while (like what was
> happening with Stefan this weekend).  I think versioning the
> plugins will help for out project, but everyone has to realize that
> this can affect other projects as well, because once the SNAPSHOT
> plugin is downloaded to the local repo, any other project will use
> that one too even if they didn't ask for the snapshot repo for
> plugins.  This is my main compaint with using snapshot repo for
> plugins.
>
> CC
>

> On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> BTW Chris I may be completely over doing it with the need to
> support a partial build.  I just have
> had users complain about it when they checked out just an apacheds
> branch and tried to compile.
>
> However this may be a bit too much perhaps.
>
> Alex
<snip>

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Rigth now, I can build shared as a standalone project

Anyway, it would be better to docuemnt the build process better (there is
some doco on the site, but I don't know how accurate they are right now)

On 5/22/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I was pretty sure that there would be some major pain involved in
> that...  I still propose that in the long run we make this a build
> documentation issue and tell people that if they build from SVN that they
> need to check out and build the top level project at least once before they
> do iterative builds on a specific module.  Checking out a sub-tree of the
> trunk and expecting that part to build seems like an edge case to me.
>
> Chris
>
> On 5/22/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Guys,
> >
> > I have cleant up the shared sub-project so that each dependency is used
> > with its correct version (version will be declared for each plugin), and
> > each maven-plugin has been declared with its version too.
> >
> > I have modified some more things too:
> > - as shared depends on a parent project (the 1.0.7-SNAPSHOT), there is a
> > problem if you want to build shared alone while you don't have any jars in
> > your .m2/repository. So I removed the reference to the TLP pom.xml in
> > the shared pom.xml. As the TLP pom.xml stilll contains shared as a
> > module, this is not a big deal. However, doing that, I also had to move the
> > junit dependency from TLP pom.xml to shared pom.xml
> > - I removed all the report from shared/convert, ldap and ldap-constants.
> > They are useless atm
> > - I also upgraded all the dependencies and plugin to their latest
> > version (antlr 2.7.7, etc)
> >
> > I think that the TLP pom.xml should not contain any information about
> > dependencies and plugins, as it is just a global start. If you want to be
> > able to build shared, or daemon, or apacheds, standalone, you must not
> > depend on this TLP pom, IMHO.
> >
> > We should also try to use always the same version of each plugin and
> > dependency, which is quite a PITA to do, as we use around 70 of them in our
> > 40 subprojects... What I have done for shared should be done for apacheds
> > and daemon, and it takes a hell of time !
> >

> > On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu < akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ahhh ok well then we may just need to remove the snapshot plugin repos
> > > and figure out a workaround
> > > for anything we have in our build that may need them legitimately.
> > >
> > > Alex

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Cordialement,
> > Emmanuel Lécharny
> > www.iktek.com

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

I have cleant up the shared sub-project so that each dependency is used with
its correct version (version will be declared for each plugin), and each
maven-plugin has been declared with its version too.

I have modified some more things too:
- as shared depends on a parent project (the 1.0.7-SNAPSHOT), there is a
problem if you want to build shared alone while you don't have any jars in
your .m2/repository. So I removed the reference to the TLP pom.xml in the
shared pom.xml. As the TLP pom.xml stilll contains shared as a module, this
is not a big deal. However, doing that, I also had to move the junit
dependency from TLP pom.xml to shared pom.xml
- I removed all the report from shared/convert, ldap and ldap-constants.
They are useless atm
- I also upgraded all the dependencies and plugin to their latest version
(antlr 2.7.7, etc)

I think that the TLP pom.xml should not contain any information about
dependencies and plugins, as it is just a global start. If you want to be
able to build shared, or daemon, or apacheds, standalone, you must not
depend on this TLP pom, IMHO.

We should also try to use always the same version of each plugin and
dependency, which is quite a PITA to do, as we use around 70 of them in our
40 subprojects... What I have done for shared should be done for apacheds
and daemon, and it takes a hell of time !

On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu < akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> Ahhh ok well then we may just need to remove the snapshot plugin repos and
> figure out a workaround
> for anything we have in our build that may need them legitimately.
>
> Alex
>
> On 5/21/07, Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, I totally understand.  I just have a bit of a personal thing about
> > using the maven snapshot repo for plugins because of the general craziness
> > that results once in a while (like what was happening with Stefan this
> > weekend).  I think versioning the plugins will help for out project, but
> > everyone has to realize that this can affect other projects as well, because
> > once the SNAPSHOT plugin is downloaded to the local repo, any other project
> > will use that one too even if they didn't ask for the snapshot repo for
> > plugins.  This is my main compaint with using snapshot repo for plugins.
> >
> > CC
> >

> > On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu < akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW Chris I may be completely over doing it with the need to support a
> > > partial build.  I just have
> > > had users complain about it when they checked out just an apacheds
> > > branch and tried to compile.
> > >
> > > However this may be a bit too much perhaps.
> > >
> > > Alex

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
I think this is already done, and if not, then this should be done.

On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think this was due not to the SNAPSHOT repos but to the fact that we do
> not use
> a specific revision for all the plugins involved.
>
> If we disable the SNAPSHOT repos there will be other negative effects.
> For example
> when we are on a SNAPSHOT like say 1.5.1-SNAPSHOT then the snapshot jars
> are
> deployed to the apache snapshot repo.  If a user checks out the apacheds
> trunk and
> tries to build that instead of building the svn area with the dependent
> projects then
> those snapshots from shared and daemon will not be resolved.  Even worse
> if a user
> checks out apacheds/trunk/server-installers and tries to build that then
> it will fail if
> the SNAPSHOT repos are not visible.
>
> I think we just have to make sure we assign a specific revision to all the
> plugins we
> use instead of not including a revision for a plugin.  This will prevent
> the use of
> SNAPSHOT plugins I hope.
>
> There is also a pluginManagement section in the pom that we need to
> populate so
> we lock all plugins to a specific revision instead of allowing the use of
> SNAPSHOTs.
>
> Alex
>
> On 5/21/07, Chris Custine < chris.custine@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Do you guys think that these problems are from having the SNAPSHOT repos
> > (regular maven repo and plugin repo) in the maven repo stack?  I am
> > basically in the habit of disabling the SNAPSHOT repos in any project I
> > build because it does stuff like this.  And yes I always disable the
> > SNAPSHOT repo in ApacheDS pom as well  :-)
> >
> > Its always been in the back of my mind to ask why it is enabled, but I
> > figured that it allowed someone to build part of the SVN project without
> > building the entire thing or something along those lines.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > On 5/21/07, Alex Karasulu < akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ahhh the unpredictability of Maven strikes again!
> > >
> > > Alex

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

I have tested it again after having removed the repo, and still working ...

On 5/21/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmmm...
>
> I just have tested it :
> svn up
> mvn clean install on root
> cd apacheds/server-installers
> mvn clean install
>
> no pb at all...
>
> Have you tried to remove completly  your .m2 repository before running the
> build ?
>
> Emmanuel
>
> On 5/21/07, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I have currently the problem that I am unable to build the installers of
> >   ApacheDS 1.5.
> >
> > I have checked out
> >

> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/trunk-with-dependencies
> >
> > and I am able to perform a "mvn install" on this level.
> >
> > But if I change directory  to apacheds/server-installers and try "mvn
> > install" I get this
> >
> > [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> > [INFO]

> > ---
> > [INFO] Building ApacheDS Server Installers
> > [INFO]    task-segment: [install]
> > [INFO]

> > ---
> > [INFO]
> > [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> > [INFO]
> >
> > [INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does
> > not exist or no valid version could be found
> > [INFO]
> > [INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e switch
> > [INFO]
> > [INFO] Total time: < 1 second
> > [INFO] Finished at: Mon May 21 11:04:03 CEST 2007
> > [INFO] Final Memory: 1M/3M
> > [INFO]
> >
> > A "mvn clean" does not help on any level (runs successfully, but error
> > persists).
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> > Thanks in advance,
> >      Stefan
> >

> --
> Regards,
> Cordialement,
> Emmanuel Lécharny
> www.iktek.com

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [ApacheDS] Problems building the installers

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hmmmm...

I just have tested it :
svn up
mvn clean install on root
cd apacheds/server-installers
mvn clean install

no pb at all...

Have you tried to remove completly  your .m2 repository before running the
build ?

Emmanuel

On 5/21/07, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have currently the problem that I am unable to build the installers of
>   ApacheDS 1.5.
>
> I have checked out
>

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/trunk-with-dependencies
>
> and I am able to perform a "mvn install" on this level.
>
> But if I change directory  to apacheds/server-installers and try "mvn
> install" I get this
>
> [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> [INFO]
> ---
> [INFO] Building ApacheDS Server Installers
> [INFO]    task-segment: [install]
> [INFO]
> ---
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does
> not exist or no valid version could be found
> [INFO]
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Total time: < 1 second
> [INFO] Finished at: Mon May 21 11:04:03 CEST 2007
> [INFO] Final Memory: 1M/3M
> [INFO]
>
> A "mvn clean" does not help on any level (runs successfully, but error
> persists).
>
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks in advance,
>      Stefan