Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Werner Jörling <jo...@lkv-wl.de> on 2003/01/14 11:08:50 UTC

General Question RPC vs. Messaging

Hello,

studying the SOAP-Messaging samples from the  the book 'Java and SOAP' (Robert
Englander, O'Reilly) and from apache-soap I'm confused about the difference
between SOAP-RPC and SOAP-Messaging.

There are SOAP-Messaging samples, where services are implemented with the
signiture

public void serviceMethod(
	Envelope env,
	SOAPContext reqCtx,
	SOAPContext resCtx
)

Services of this kind are usually sent to client messages containing Envlopes
to an URL like http//host:pppp/soap/servlet/messagerouter.

On the other side there are SOAP-Messaging-service samples not distinguishable
from SOAP-RPC-style services . Only the service-tag in the
deployment-descriptor contains the type="message"-attribute.

Moreover this services are invoked by a Call in a SOAP-RPC like manner, with a
URL like http://host:pppp/soap/servlet/rpcrouter.

Consequently I do not really understand the difference between SOAP-RPC and
SOAP-Messaging.

Regards

Werner
mailto:joerling@lkv-wl.de