Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Enrico Cavallin <ca...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/01 09:47:33 UTC

TTL documentation

Hi all,
I cannot understand what this statement means:

<<Use CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE to define the default_time_to_live
property for all columns in a table. If any column exceeds TTL, the entire
table is tombstoned.>>

in https://docs.datastax.com/en/dse/6.7/cql/cql/cql_using/useExpire.html

I have already done some tests with TTL set on columns, rows and default on
table and all seems in line with the logic: an already written row/value
maintains its TTL unless updated; a new default_ttl will not change TTL on
already existing rows.
What do they mean with "If any column exceeds TTL, the entire table is
tombstoned" ?

Thank you,
Enrico

Re: TTL documentation

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
Those aren’t the project docs, they’re datastax’s docs, but that line makes no sense.

I assume they meant that once a column reaches its TTL it is treated as a tombstone. That’s per column and not the entire table.

--
Jeff Jirsa