Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net> on 2006/09/12 03:24:52 UTC

Memory leak (was: RE: Lucene.Net Indexing Large Databases)

Hi Eyal,

If you run this sample program (see email thread) using Lucene.Net 1.4.3 you
will not see any memory growth, but if you try with 1.9, 1.9.1 and 2.0,
memory will consistently grow.

Also, if you port this program to the Java version, again, using 1.4.3 or
2.0 (I didn't try 1.9 or 1.9.1) you won't see any memory growth.

Clearly, we have a leak somewhere in Lucene.Net 1.9, 1.9.1 and 2.0.  There
was a similar problem with 1.4.3 and the fix was adding a Close() -- sorry,
I don't remember in which method, but if you are interested you can look it
up on dotLucne when it was at SourceForge.  I should point out that the Java
version doesn't need the Close() call.

Regards,

-- George

Posted by Dean Harding <de...@dload.com.au>.
> The difference was that the implementation in Java used a WeakHashMap vs.
> the C# version used a straight Hashtable.  Java's WeakHashMap uses weak
> references; the Hashtable has strong references

.NET has a WeakReference class, though I don't think there's a built-in
"WeakHashtable" class. Shouldn't be impossible to write one...

Dean.

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.
The Close() method addition in the 1.4.3 code was in the FieldCache class.
The difference was that the implementation in Java used a WeakHashMap vs.
the C# version used a straight Hashtable.  Java's WeakHashMap uses weak
references; the Hashtable has strong references.  GC wasn't able to clear
the FieldCache, so a virtual Close() method with calls to explicitly release
references from internal Hashtable was added.