Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Arshak Navruzyan <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/01 04:41:00 UTC

Apache Sentry

Has anyone tried to integrate Accumulo's authorizations with Apache Sentry?

Re: Apache Sentry

Posted by Michael Ridley <mr...@clouderagovt.com>.
I also think it's a good idea, although I'm not sure exactly how it would
work.  The low(er) hanging fruit is to do what is currently supported with
Hive and Impala using HBase as a backend (except using Accumulo).  There is
some work going on with getting Impala on Accumulo in a few places, but I
have no idea about when or if that will see the light of day.  There was
some work years ago on making Accumulo work with Hive, but I don't know
that it was ever finished or released (not as far as I know).

This approach makes sense, given that Sentry has SQL-style RBAC semantics.
However applying Sentry to a "native" Accumulo mutation seems like it would
be a little bit trickier to implement.

It is the case that Sentry has support for Cloudera Search (index level
right now).  The semantics for search based permissions are different from
the original SQL permissions, so it's not incomprehensible to me that
additional semantics could be added to support BigTable type actions.  But
I don't know of anyone working on that right now.

Michael

--
Michael Ridley <mr...@clouderagovt.com>
Solutions Architect

Re: Apache Sentry

Posted by Arshak Navruzyan <ar...@gmail.com>.
I wonder if it's fine grained enough for cell level security.  For Hbase it
appears to be at the table level

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/products-and-services/cdh/sentry.html

Re: Apache Sentry

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.