Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by gmotts <ga...@ventyx.abb.com> on 2014/06/10 15:04:56 UTC

Large number of concurrent connections causing problems to Servicemix-CXF

*Software Versions*
Software versions in play include:
    • ServiceMix 3.4.1
        • Apache Camel 1.6.1
        • Apache CXF 2.2.6
    • ActiveMQ 5.5.1

*Architecture*
We use Camel + Service Mix based EIP components bundled into ServiceMix
service assemblies.  The message flow in question looks like this:
Our synchronous channel architecture consists of a ServiceMix CXFBC Consumer
(servicemix-cxf-bc) that receives SOAP requests and processes messages
through CXF interceptors removing the SOAP envelope then sends it to a JBI
endpoint, which is the servicemix-eip Async Bridge component.  This
component makes a JBI call using Apache Camel and places the message in a
queue where it is then consumed using servicemix-jms and processed
downstream to return a response with a matching correlation ID to the
ServiceMix Async Bridge EIP component.  Finally, the Async Bridge matches
the response to the request and it returns a SOAP response back through the
CXFBC to the caller.

*Environment:*
    •Operating system version + patch level - AIX 7.1 TL2 SP3
(7100-02-03-1334)
    •JDK version - Java 7 64 7.0.0.50, IBM J9 VM (build 2.6, JRE 1.7.0 AIX
ppc64-64 20120809_118929 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)

*Issues*
External systems are sending messages into ServiceMix via a CXF based web
service.   The external system can use multiple concurrent connections.  A
large number of concurrent connections seems to be causing problems.  We are
currently getting no errors logged or indications there is a problem other
than the system slowing down and eventually freezing.

*Questions*
 1) Is there a maximum number of connections (SOAP Requests) supported for
the cxfbc:consumer?
 2) Is there a way to:
     a) Monitor concurrent connections via JMX to see if we are getting
close to an expected threshold?
     b) Establish loggers that will indicate problems are occurring?
     c) Establish and enforce limits on concurrent connections?

Re: Large number of concurrent connections causing problems to Servicemix-CXF

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Most likely you'd need to increase the number of file-handles as those
connections usually aqcuire sockets and therefore this is the usual
limiting number. Either on windows or linux.

A newer version of Servicemix is capable of beeing monitored via JMX.

Regards, Achim

> *Software Versions*
> Software versions in play include:
>     • ServiceMix 3.4.1
>         • Apache Camel 1.6.1
>         • Apache CXF 2.2.6
>     • ActiveMQ 5.5.1
>
> *Architecture*
> We use Camel + Service Mix based EIP components bundled into ServiceMix
> service assemblies.  The message flow in question looks like this:
> Our synchronous channel architecture consists of a ServiceMix CXFBC
> Consumer
> (servicemix-cxf-bc) that receives SOAP requests and processes messages
> through CXF interceptors removing the SOAP envelope then sends it to a JBI
> endpoint, which is the servicemix-eip Async Bridge component.  This
> component makes a JBI call using Apache Camel and places the message in a
> queue where it is then consumed using servicemix-jms and processed
> downstream to return a response with a matching correlation ID to the
> ServiceMix Async Bridge EIP component.  Finally, the Async Bridge matches
> the response to the request and it returns a SOAP response back through the
> CXFBC to the caller.
>
> *Environment:*
>     •Operating system version + patch level - AIX 7.1 TL2 SP3
> (7100-02-03-1334)
>     •JDK version - Java 7 64 7.0.0.50, IBM J9 VM (build 2.6, JRE 1.7.0 AIX
> ppc64-64 20120809_118929 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
>
> *Issues*
> External systems are sending messages into ServiceMix via a CXF based web
> service.   The external system can use multiple concurrent connections.  A
> large number of concurrent connections seems to be causing problems.  We
> are
> currently getting no errors logged or indications there is a problem other
> than the system slowing down and eventually freezing.
>
> *Questions*
>  1) Is there a maximum number of connections (SOAP Requests) supported for
> the cxfbc:consumer?
>  2) Is there a way to:
>      a) Monitor concurrent connections via JMX to see if we are getting
> close to an expected threshold?
>      b) Establish loggers that will indicate problems are occurring?
>      c) Establish and enforce limits on concurrent connections?

Apache Member
Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>