Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Vijay Sampath <vi...@baml.com> on 2011/11/03 04:40:49 UTC

SOLRJ commitWithin inconsistent

Hi,

 I'm using CommitWithin for immediate commit.  The response times are
inconsistent. Sometimes it's less than a second. Sometimes more than 25
seconds. I'm not sending concurrent requests. Any idea?

 http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommitWithin

  Snippet:

  UpdateRequest req = new UpdateRequest();
  req.add( solrDoc);
  req.setCommitWithin(5000);
  req.process( server );

Thanks,
Vijay

Re: SOLRJ commitWithin inconsistent

Posted by Nagendra Nagarajayya <nn...@transaxtions.com>.
Vijay:

You may want to try Solr 3.3/3.4 with RankingAlgorithm as it supports
NRT (Real Time Updates). You can set the commit interval to about 15
mins or as desired.

You can get more information about NRT with 3.3/3.4.0 from here:
http://solr-ra.tgels.org/wiki/en/Near_Real_Time_Search_ver_3.x

You can download Solr 3.3/3.4.0 with RankingAlgorithm 1.3 from here:
http://solr-ra.tgels.org

Regards,

- Nagendra Nagarajayya
http://solr-ra.tgels.org
http://rankingalgorithm.tgels.org

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Hi,

Can you elaborate on exactly is the problem? Which response time are you talking about - the time for the req.process() or the measured time before the document is visible in search?

Which SolrJ SolrServer class are you using?
Please tell us more about your environment, documents, index size, feed speed & frequency etc.

What is happening during the 25 seconds when you experience the largest delays? Can you somehow profile your application or look at the logs?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Always best to give the version of Solr you are using out of the gate.

How large is your index?

It may be that sometimes background merges are triggered, and sometimes they are not.

Also, some bugs around the autocommit code (commitWithin shares a lot of code with autocommit) have recently been fixed. Don't think they matched what you are describing though.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com