Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dennis Thrysøe <dt...@conscius.com> on 2007/06/06 16:15:05 UTC

Embedding jasper (tomcat 5.5)

Hi,

I'm attempting to embed jasper into an application of mine. Actually I'm
upgrading it from 4.1 to 5.5.

The new version of jasper uses commons-logging, which the old one didn't
seem to do. This causes problems for me when using jasper in
webapplications that contain their own copy of commons-logging in
WEB-INF/lib.

The LogFactory complains that more than one Log class is visible.

I am loading the JspServlet class with an "outside" classloader, but I
am encountering exeptions when asking this JspServlet to service
requests with the ContextClassLoader ser to a specific webapp-classloader.

Any ideas what tomcat is doing to seperate for instance it's own
commons-logging with a commons-logging in a deployed webapp?

Thanks,

-dennis

Re: Embedding jasper (tomcat 5.5)

Posted by Dennis Thrysøe <dt...@conscius.com>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> "Dennis Thrysøe" <dt...@conscius.com> wrote in message
>> Any ideas what tomcat is doing to seperate for instance it's own
>> commons-logging with a commons-logging in a deployed webapp?
>>

> Probably, the easiest is to jump to TC 6.  That version no longer uses
> commons-logging.

But then I suppose other libraries could cause the same confusion?

Unfortunately or customers require java 1.4 for now, so I guess Tomcat 6
is out of the question.

I'm still really interested in good ideas on how to implement this. I'm
guessing that it works in Tomcat, but it's hard to read from the code
for an outsider.

I was hoping for some hidden trick of specifying explicit classloaders
for various situations (I want to load jasper-related stuff with one
classloader and application related stuff with another...).

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.