Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/16 23:22:31 UTC

Lucene 2.9 Again

My email client lost the original thread:

So far, both Mike and I have voiced our desire to get a 2.9 release out
the door soon. Java 1.5 awaits us on the other side :) No one else has
really weighed in though. I've jumped in an started to squeeze the 2.9
JIRA list with Mike anyway.

Is there anyone against such a move at this point in time? I'll take
silence to mean your on board, and I'll continue to squeeze the JIRA
list with regard to patches that are not moving forward.

As it is, I think we are in fairly good shape. There are about 30 issue
left, but most are mostly complete or simple and only a few still have
major complications to resolve. All have a reasonable assignee as well.

If you think we should release 2.9 soon and you are assigned to an issue
that you cant get to reasonable soon, I'm going to ask again that you
dis-assign yourself.

Also a reminder, as Mike mentioned, if there are issues out there that
should be marked 2.9 and are not, please move them to 2.9.

Or please voice your opinion as to why we should hold off.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Mark Miller<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far, both Mike and I have voiced our desire to get a 2.9 release out the
> door soon.

+1

My silence was mainly because I wasn't sure I had too much time to do
anything on it myself (outside issues assigned to me of course).

-Yonik

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Michael
McCandless<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> I would love to see function queries consolidated between Solr and
> Lucene!  I think it's a prime example of duplicated and then diverged
> sources between Lucene and Solr...
>
> And it's fabulous that you are "volunteering", Simon ;)  We have
> precious few volunteers that stride both communities well enough, and
> have the itch, to do this.
>
> So I'd love to see progress made towards this.... but I also think
> it's a little too big to hold up 2.9 for.
Yeah I agree!

> The back compat requirement is certainly important, but I would assume
> workable, ie it should not hold up this consolidation...
I think this is a step by step task and it should be done with back
compat in mind. I think it is not crucial to have it in 2.9 as solr
might be keen to get 1.5 lucene releases integrated too. So its not a
big deal if it gets integrated with 3.* releases.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Me, too.  I noticed Grant mentioned this in one of the long emails/threads, too, a few weeks back, but I didn't want to pull out just that piece and disturb the thread.  And I bet people outside Lucene would love to have search-independent set of chainable tokenizers, token filters, and such.

Otis

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Let's not forget Nutch...  Also, for that matter, Mahout uses Lucene's
Analysis and Core (in fact, I just committed MAHOUT-126 which allows
one to create Vectors from a Lucene index!), although those are just
as consumers, I doubt there is a need for Mahout committers to change
Lucene.

On Jun 17, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> I agree.
>
> I'm picturing some hopefully-not-that-distant future when we have a
> queries "module" and analysis "module" that live quite separately from
> Lucene & Solr's "core", and committers from both Solr and Lucene would
> work on it.
>
> Mike
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Grant
> Ingersoll<gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 17, 2009, at 4:42 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>
>>> I would love to see function queries consolidated between Solr and
>>> Lucene!  I think it's a prime example of duplicated and then
>>> diverged
>>> sources between Lucene and Solr...
>>
>> The primary reason it's diverged is it gets a lot of attention on
>> Solr and
>> near zero in Lucene.  You rarely see someone on java-user ask about
>> function
>> queries.  In Solr, it's a regular solution to many problems.  So,
>> just like
>> the analysis problem, it strikes me as one of those areas that if
>> it is
>> going to be done, and maintained, then Solr committers need write
>> access.
>>
>> -Grant

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I agree.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Mark Miller<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My email client lost the original thread:
>
> So far, both Mike and I have voiced our desire to get a 2.9 release out the
> door soon. Java 1.5 awaits us on the other side :) No one else has really
> weighed in though. I've jumped in an started to squeeze the 2.9 JIRA list
> with Mike anyway.
>
> Is there anyone against such a move at this point in time? I'll take silence
> to mean your on board, and I'll continue to squeeze the JIRA list with
> regard to patches that are not moving forward.
+1

> As it is, I think we are in fairly good shape. There are about 30 issue
> left, but most are mostly complete or simple and only a few still have major
> complications to resolve. All have a reasonable assignee as well.
>
> If you think we should release 2.9 soon and you are assigned to an issue
> that you cant get to reasonable soon, I'm going to ask again that you
> dis-assign yourself.
>
> Also a reminder, as Mike mentioned, if there are issues out there that
> should be marked 2.9 and are not, please move them to 2.9.
I was thinking of adding a patch for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1085 and subsequently
help to integrate it into solr. I try to get it done as soon as
possible. I remember yonik mentioned that 2.9 could make it into solr
1.4 so this would be a good opportunity. If not i will just do it for
3.0

simon

RE: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> Mark Miller wrote:
> >  Duck Uwe :)
> Clarification: Duck next time. As long as I have the time to do it
> (meaning, if it doesnt take as much time as it looks) , I will do it :)

What a hell! OK, next time...

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

RE: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Mark Miller<ma...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > There are parts that aren't strictly part of the release process IMO -
> > things like maven seem optional.
>
> -1.  Maven support is not optional.
>
> +1 for more automation.  For the record, once setup, Maven (as opposed
> to Ant) release (i.e. on Mahout http://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/how-to-
> release.html)
>   consists of far fewer steps.  The only manual ones after one-time
> setup are the announcements and the copy from staging to release (and
> even that, I think, can be done better using Nexus).  Note, I'm not
> voting to change to Maven, just saying there is room for automation.

Please no maven!!!!! :(

Uwe

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

On Jun 17, 2009, at 10:11 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Grant
> Ingersoll<gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>> There are parts that aren't strictly part of the release process
>>> IMO -
>>> things like maven seem optional.
>>
>> -1.  Maven support is not optional.
>
> I can't always follow Lucene closely, but i'm pretty sure it never
> became mandatory in Solr, and it's never been a part of any kind of
> ASF release requirements.
>
> It's nice if the release manager feels like doing it... but it also
> seems like it can be done after the fact (for maven or other release
> mechanisms) by those who care more about those.

It's pretty much the only way I consume Lucene and Solr anymore...
So, yeah, I'll make sure it happens.  In Solr and Lucene, generating
the artifacts is automatic anyway.  The only manual part is copying
them up to the server.  I think people can handle doing an scp.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Yonik Seeley<ys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Mark Miller<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've looked at the release todo wiki and I am still having nightmares.
>
> Indeed - it's gotten 5 times longer since the last time I did Lucene or Solr.
> There are parts that aren't strictly part of the release process IMO -
> things like maven seem optional.

For better or worse, it gets bigger whenever someone (recently, me!)
makes a silly mistake and then goes and updates the release todo ;)

I do think it could use some consolidating, though...

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Michael Busch wrote:
> Cool, seems like Mark is volunteering to be the 2.9 release manager ;)
I may look stupid, but I saw that one coming. I briefly considered
opening a 2.9 JIRA issue, assigned and titled "Make Lucene release
processes one click", but I thought maybe I better not bring attention
to the issue ;) I've looked at the release todo wiki and I am still
having nightmares. It really gets to be too much at the step where you
dance the hokey poky while yelling out all of Apaches public encryption
keys. We've almost built a tradition of the new guy getting stuck with
it though. Duck Uwe :)

> I need to get the TokenStream API changes in and ideally LUCENE-1448.
>
> How soon is soon? Code freeze in 2-3 weeks or so maybe? Then 7-10 days
> testing, so 2.9 should be out mid July? Sounds reasonable?
+1.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
+1

  Michael

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
I'm happy to hear that :)
I suggested 2-3 weeks to prevent the schedule from being even tighter,
as it sounded like you guys wanted to get 2.9 out really really soon.

I'm really busy the rest of June and will have much more time for Lucene
in July. So if we could wait until end of July before we do the code
freeze, and get 2.9 out early August, that'd mean much less sleep
deprivation for me! And the likelihood that I'll get all my stuff in
would be much higher...

  Michael

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Jason
Rutherglen<ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I pretty much find any excuse to go and write stuff in Python
>
> There's Scala...

I've only read about it so far but it does look good.

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
> I pretty much find any excuse to go and write stuff in Python

There's Scala...

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
That means the release frequency should not exceed the new-committer
frequency. :)

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
On 6/17/09 6:23 AM, Mark Miller wrote:
> I have a special gift in not being clear.
>
> I was just saying "be prepared, your turn is coming ;) "
>
> But I havn't done a release myself - we don't release that often
> despite discussion that we should release more often every year or so.
>
> I did notice though, that Mike did the release right after joining,
> and Michael did a release right after joining, and so ... looks like I
> am next in line followed by you.

One?!? I did 2.2, 2.3, 2.3.1, 2.3.2!

Everyone who is unhappy with the release TODO's, go back in your mail
archive to the 2.2 release and check how many tedious little changes we
made to improve the release quality. And besides the maven stuff, there
is not really more to do compared to pre-2.2, it's just documented in a
more verbose (=RM-friendly) way.

The maven stuff is also pretty simple... just for signing the artifacts
I hacked a tool, because that gets tedious otherwise. When we're at that
point I can try to dig it up... I think Mike has such a tool too.

  Michael

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have a special gift in not being clear.

I was just saying "be prepared, your turn is coming ;) "

But I havn't done a release myself - we don't release that often despite
discussion that we should release more often every year or so.

I did notice though, that Mike did the release right after joining, and
Michael did a release right after joining, and so ... looks like I am

I'd be happy to split some of the work if its possible though - then
perhaps we can both get our feet wet without having the full load of
that wiki. I'm up for either way. Looks like we have some time to work
it out.

- Mark

RE: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

RE: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
I tend also to a little bit later; maybe we need more discussions about
NumericField and NumericSortField, especially between the two fractions Mike
vs. Yonik :-)

After finishing the TokenStream simplification and optimization, I will now
again start rewriting of javadocs for trie and hopefully I can commit in a
day-or-two(TM).

Maybe start RCs in second quarter of July? Maybe Mark helps me and I can do
it alone the next time, if I have to? :-)

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Michael Busch<bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cool, seems like Mark is volunteering to be the 2.9 release manager ;)

Yay!

Mike

Re: Lucene 2.9 Again

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.